Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

getting over my pride...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm on to my last £150 in my savings, and even though i said that this summer was going to be about me getting my head sorted, but i'm so low on money i now need to get myself a job...i can only work 16 hours a week, so i can't take on much and it counts a hell of a lot of jobs out, and it means that i'm going to be stuck with packing shelves and/or cleaning... and thus i've got to bite the bullet and get over my pride...

my first proper job was working for one of my favorite cosmetics companies, and it was more fun that work, but now i've got to do something that i really don't want to just to get by...and i did say that i would rather survive off nothing rather than have to do a job i hate but now i think i'm going to have to...and i'm not sure whats the best way of going about it...

my other problem is i've been told that i'm over qualified for these jobs, but i'm under qualified for supervisor/management, so what should i be aiming for, or should i be re-structuring my CV?

thanks...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You have to bite the bullet. I had to, twice. The first time when I APPLIED to McD's, and the second when I had to go and admit that I needed my job back.

Working in shitty jobs can be great fun as long as the people you work with are sound (like at McD's). The key is just getting on with it. It's easy work, and it's money, plus it's stopping you from having gaping gaps of no work on your CV.

I would say maybe restructure your CV to suit different places. Have you tried putting your CV on places like Monster? I have a whole load of websites that Rich gave me that have temping jobs and stuff on them, if you want me to forward it to you? But make it so that your CV is structured in a way which plays on the skills you need for the jobs you're applying for.
    i've had a very good HR person *ahem*britjames*ahem* look at my CV and we have tweaked it but i've still got told that i was either under or over qualified for 4 jobs...

might try monster...and yes, forward those if you could...
    Forwarded :)
    what sort of jobs are you going for?
    Can you get job seekers allowance whilst your looking for work, i know its not loads but might help! As for part time work you should maybe look for a job where you have to work sundays and get time and a half or something so you are maximising your earnings for the hours. You say you enjoyed working for a cosmetics company, why don't you try and get a job somewhere like the body shop, molton brown or crabtree & evelyn. You could look into selling things on ebay, not ideal I know, but you can use dropshippers so you don't need to carry any stock, and it might give you a bit of extra cash per week on top of your job.
    i'm on income support and will continue to be as i won't work over 16 hours...

i'm looking for pretty much anything tbh, sales, admin, stock managment...ect
    any experience on the phone. I've found telesales the easiest part-time jobs to find, and no one can see you doing it either :D It's not bad experience to have either as it can demonstrate good sales, people, customer service type skills on your CV too.
    I had a part time job on a check out at a supermarket for years. The work was boring, however the people and friends I made there were fantastic. I wouldn't see it as swallowing your pride just more like getting on with your life and doing what you have to, there is no shame in working anywhere, after all at least its a job and you have made the effort to look and find work.

Best of luck with it xx
    part time jobs can be interesting.

How about:
    working at a football stadium (get in quick as the season starts next week). There are loads of jobs working at matches, such as hospitality, security, stewards, catering etc.

I saw a job in London last week working part time in one of those booths selling cut price theatre tickets in Covent Garden.

Box office staff at theatres.

Promotions people who hand out free samples of stuff in the street or in department stores
    Do you have any idea of a job you'd be interested in doing? If so, send the company your CV and they might offer you a job.
    of course you have to bite the bullet, most of us do jobs that we don't really want to. you think i'm happy having worked at tesco for 5 1/2 years through my education? no. but i need to. and it's not pride, it's being picky.

as for being over qualified, just don't tell them about your qualifications. ;)
    i want to work for lush again, or for the bbc as a runner...
    Excuse me if I have totally misinterpreted this thread but the title is about getting over your pride, however you also mention that you are on jobseekers allowance because you "won't," work more than 16 hours a week...surely you'd rather work than be on income support- wouldn't that give you pride in itself? If there is a reason (medical issue behind this then apologies but I'm just commenting on what I've read in this thread.)

You mention that you'd like to work for Lush- maybe you could visit your local store and hand in a CV, if you have already worked for them before then that's perfect experience and should help you to get a foot in the door as it were. Do you know anyone from when you used to work there? Maybe they will know about job opportunities in that store.

Lots of students work part time in low paid jobs with not many opportunities but if you need money and you can work then you should be proud to be making your own way however you can. As some people have already mentioned these jobs can also lead to meeting lots of other people in similar situations and good for making new friends as well as money-always a bonus!

Good luck finding a job that you will enjoy. :)
    silverhalo wrote: »
    Excuse me if I have totally misinterpreted this thread but the title is about getting over your pride, however you also mention that you are on jobseekers allowance because you "won't," work more than 16 hours a week...surely you'd rather work than be on income support- wouldn't that give you pride in itself? If there is a reason (medical issue behind this then apologies but I'm just commenting on what I've read in this thread.)
    Seems like you've misinterpreted the thread - she's on income support, NOT Jobseekers.
    i want to work for lush again, or for the bbc as a runner...

want and need are two totally different concepts..
    It's worth trying Lush. A poster on here was offered a job with them 12hrs a week, so they do have part-time jobs. If you find you are getting 'overqualified' responses, make a modified CV showing the skills you've got that would be useful for whatever jobs you're applying for.
    Can you work those 16 hours any time, or are you limited to days you can work?

I reckon sales might be a good idea. Look at electrical/phone shops, or furniture stores. These are jobs where you need a bit more than you do for stacking shelves, so you don't usually need many qualifications or experience (or even much knowledge of what you're selling), just enthusiasm and the personality to do this sort of work. There's plenty of evening/weekend work in these sorts of companies, and having variety, targets and interaction with customers mean that you won't be bored out of your mind.