Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Animal testing

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    I'm looking at it from a cold philosophical perspective, pleasure derived from pain.

No you're not. It's called a Strawman argument, you're over simplifying a complex argument for your own gain and refuting other arguments against that claim on the basis of your original point, i.e. pleasure for pain. It's idiotic to say the least.
  • Options
    So, Namaste, care to explain this:
    I am not saying that meat eaters are evil, but they are no worse and no better than somebody who gets off on playing badminton with a cat.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    No you're not. It's called a Strawman argument, you're over simplifying a complex argument for your own gain and refuting other arguments against that claim on the basis of your original point, i.e. pleasure for pain. It's idiotic to say the least.
    Care to debate instead of throwing insults (for once)?

Because that's all you ever seem to do and it gets boring fast.
  • Options
    That's fine to say given that you have access to clean water and electricity. Its not so easy if you're having to trudge several miles every day to get bacteria infested water from a river...

But the history of civilisation is of man's attempt to control and channel nature for the betterment of mankind. We are in thousands of ways better off than our ancestors who had to live with nature having power over them...
    Indeed... Of course we're trying to beat nature.

I wouldn't say we're 'better' as such... more driving ourselves to extinction.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    In nature - you know the thing we have no respect for - species kill and eat other species. It's something we have 'naturally' evolved to do.

On one hand you say we're no different than the other critters on this planet and on the other you say we should be making unatural choices because we are different?
    It depends... I believe we're animals, yes we're more evolved intellectually, but using our 'conscience' to say we're better is then saying that somebody for example with a severe disability is less 'better' than somebody who has the ability to reason better.
  • Options
    It depends... I believe we're animals, yes we're more evolved intellectually, but using our 'conscience' to say we're better is then saying that somebody for example with a severe disability is less 'better' than somebody who has the ability to reason better.

:yes: TBH, I've never quite understood why there is a need for testing on animals if the product is meant for humans. Same goes for cosmetics.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Namaste; I have re-read the entire thread, and you are right you have repeated yourself time and again (I could quote but I wont) saying in many different ways that you see no ethical difference between eating meat and torturing animals because in the end the animal dies for our pleasure.

Which is a position I can understand, but seems completely black and white and totally ignores the gradations of pleasure and/or pain for the animal involved.

I assume you can see that for most of us a farmer looking after his animals well isnt the same as someone torturing them for fun, even if thats not a view you can share.
    *Nods*

Yeah, I admit that I view a lot of things in a fairly black and white (cold) way (the same with other issues like feminism I feel strongly about). I understand there are degrees of cruelty too and admittedly, I'm talking about factory farming more than anything else (I should've made that more clear).

When I find out who wrote the arguement, which is very intersting to read I shall post up the link if it's online for anyone interested in that.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    :yes: TBH, I've never quite understood why there is a need for testing on animals if the product is meant for humans. Same goes for cosmetics.
    Well I have a few issues with the efficiancy of testing drugs on animals when the drug is supposed to be used for humans. Moving away from the ethical arguement...

Firstly there are obviously differences between a rat and a human, but take morphene for example (I think it was morphene and the animals involved, I remember this from a lecture), morphene makes mice react differently to rats as in it makes one hyper and the other has a similar effect as on humans. Rats and mice are by far more closely related to each other than to humans. It is the same that chocolate is poisonous to dogs and not to humans (thank god).

Then there is the stress of being in a lab. Stress has been shown to lower the immune system, a human example being psychosomatic illness. If you have depression or are suffering with stress then it lowers your immune system and you're more likely to get ill. The same goes with animals. So on top of a rat in a lab being a completely different species to human beings, its immune system is at a different level because it is stressed.

Note also that a lab creature is not exposed to the outside and the illnesses. It is basically born in to a nice safe bubble, so this will affect its immune system.

I can understand why people support animal research, we have attachments to our family and friends (yes, I know that sounds a bit cold) and we want what we believe is best for them. It is pretty much the state of being human, our emotions are hurt otherwise and the 'animal' inside of us is terrified of death. But at the same time, how convincing is it? Are there not alternatives like computer models we can use? Technology moves pretty fast after all...

If animal testing is so good, then why do we have side effects with the drugs? Then of course we have to take more drugs to deal with the side effects.

Tbh I think that we're a world obsessed with immortality. Heck, even if we get a sniffle a lot of us think we're dying and reach eagly for Lemsip (which actually contains stimulants too, so whilst our body tells us to rest, this puts more strain on us to make us want to keep going - Source: The Ecologist). I'm not saying that if I were diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, I would not consier treatment, of course I would... But I think the time is coming to start using alternatives.
  • Options
    Indeed... Of course we're trying to beat nature.

I wouldn't say we're 'better' as such... more driving ourselves to extinction.

Yes, because we'd be all so much better if we lived in caves and were lucky to survive into our twenties...
  • Options
    Well I have a few issues with the efficiancy of testing drugs on animals when the drug is supposed to be used for humans. Moving away from the ethical arguement...

... I'm not saying that if I were diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, I would not consier treatment, of course I would... But I think the time is coming to start using alternatives.

I think you're missing the point of testing on animals. It isn't to see how humans would react. Its to see if there's any unforseen results which the theoretical work and work on cell cultures has failed to detect. If the theory is that the mouse would be fine and instead the mouse dies there is obviously something not quite right in the theory and its best to go back to the drawing board...
  • Options
    Yes, because we'd be all so much better if we lived in caves and were lucky to survive into our twenties...
    So we are better than say... indigenous people?

Gee... That's a justification to destroy their homes. :p

A person is a person, aren't we all equal?

I mean what made a person 5000 years ago happy is unlikely to be what would make you and I happy today. People held different values back then. It doesn't make them any less 'better' because they aren't the same as us.

Again, we are still destroying the planet and if we keep on consuming like this we'll wipe a great deal of us out. So you could argue that in some ways, their lifestyles are better if indeed their aim is to keep on reproducing successfully for generations to come.

It really depends on your definitions of 'good' and 'bad'.
  • Options
    So we are better than say... indigenous people?

Gee... That's a justification to destroy their homes. :p

A person is a person, aren't we all equal?

I mean what made a person 5000 years ago happy is unlikely to be what would make you and I happy today. People held different values back then. It doesn't make them any less 'better' because they aren't the same as us.

Again, we are still destroying the planet and if we keep on consuming like this we'll wipe a great deal of us out. So you could argue that in some ways, their lifestyles are better if indeed their aim is to keep on reproducing successfully for generations to come.

It really depends on your definitions of 'good' and 'bad'.

We're certainly better off... We as a rule don't tend to kill our disabled, or let those who are too old or ill to do anything starve to death. if our children don't support us in our old age the state will. its been a long time since anyone in this country has died from measles or chickenpox. If i cut my hand the chances of it getting gangrene and falling off is pretty rare...

The reason why there are so few stone age populations around is that as soon as they got the chance those who lived in them dropped them...

PS - where did the argument about destroying homes come in? It isn't mine and given that this strand comes from your view that butterflies habitats are more important than clean water and electricity it seems that you'd be happy to destroy their homes if they happenend to build them in an area of outstanding natural beauty...
  • Options
    Care to debate instead of throwing insults (for once)?

Because that's all you ever seem to do and it gets boring fast.

How is pointing out a straw man an insult?
  • Options

Firstly there are obviously differences between a rat and a human, but take morphene for example (I think it was morphene and the animals involved, I remember this from a lecture), morphene makes mice react differently to rats as in it makes one hyper and the other has a similar effect as on humans. Rats and mice are by far more closely related to each other than to humans. It is the same that chocolate is poisonous to dogs and not to humans (thank god).

Then there is the stress of being in a lab. Stress has been shown to lower the immune system, a human example being psychosomatic illness. If you have depression or are suffering with stress then it lowers your immune system and you're more likely to get ill. The same goes with animals. So on top of a rat in a lab being a completely different species to human beings, its immune system is at a different level because it is stressed.

Note also that a lab creature is not exposed to the outside and the illnesses. It is basically born in to a nice safe bubble, so this will affect its immune system.

I can understand why people support animal research, we have attachments to our family and friends (yes, I know that sounds a bit cold) and we want what we believe is best for them. It is pretty much the state of being human, our emotions are hurt otherwise and the 'animal' inside of us is terrified of death. But at the same time, how convincing is it? Are there not alternatives like computer models we can use? Technology moves pretty fast after all...

If animal testing is so good, then why do we have side effects with the drugs? Then of course we have to take more drugs to deal with the side effects.

Tbh I think that we're a world obsessed with immortality. Heck, even if we get a sniffle a lot of us think we're dying and reach eagly for Lemsip (which actually contains stimulants too, so whilst our body tells us to rest, this puts more strain on us to make us want to keep going - Source: The Ecologist). I'm not saying that if I were diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, I would not consier treatment, of course I would... But I think the time is coming to start using alternatives.

they have differences, and these differences are well known, so you tend to avoid testing of certain drugs when that class of drug is known to have different effect in a certain species - especially drugs that interact with the human immune system, like how those people nearly died in a drug trial last year - it was a new class of treatment

they test on human cell cultures a lot as well as computer simulations to weed out the ineffective drugs, animal testing is just another 'layer' to this series of testing before it reaches human volunteers

of course accidents occur still, that's what the testing reduces the chance of
  • Options

Tbh I think that we're a world obsessed with immortality. Heck, even if we get a sniffle a lot of us think we're dying and reach eagly for Lemsip (which actually contains stimulants too, so whilst our body tells us to rest, this puts more strain on us to make us want to keep going - Source: The Ecologist).

Drugs have side effects because they arent perfect, that has nothing to do with animal testing and everything to do with our level of knowledge of exact biochemistry.

Of course we are obsessed with immortality - I'd say most people in the UK now have very deep doubts about what comes after death, so therefore we dont want to.

P.S - Lemsip does contain a stimulant, but its only a small dose of caffiene which is put in to help the paracetamol work faster, its not really enough to put any strain on the body.