Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best laptop make

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So the general consensusseems to be that if you can afford it, Macs are the highest quality? I found them hard to use; the layout was so unfamiliar having only ever used Windows, although I guess you adapt to what you use with time!
    Also I'm not a gamer, I want something portable and good at multi-tasking, so I can play music, be on the net and type and use Excel, all at the same time! I thought dual core would be better than single for that.

Three more qs:
    1) How can I run Windows XP on a Mac?
    2) How do you get student discount; is is only available online and is there a different student website?
    3) Would you be alright with buying a laptop, which is high value and costs a lot (ie over £200) online, or would you prefer to go into a shop and speak to someone about it?
  • Options
    Luce wrote: »
    1) How can I run Windows XP on a Mac?
    2) How do you get student discount; is is only available online and is there a different student website?
    3) Would you be alright with buying a laptop, which is high value and costs a lot (ie over £200) online, or would you prefer to go into a shop and speak to someone about it?

1) You install software called 'boot camp' on the mac , and then you can install xp on top of it, you always get a choice of XP or os x when you switch the machine on, but you'll probably prefer os x when you start using it properly.
    2) it's available in stores and online
    3) i would be perfectly happy to buy online from reputable places (ebuyer.com, dabs etc) I'm less likely to send more than 200 to someone on ebay etc. (However this is irrelevant if you decide to get a mac, as online prices are identical to in store prices)

I find my mac's build quality to be absolutely excellent, i've sent it in for repairs once because of a discoloration issue (it's a white laptop and i use it *alot*) but they were perfectly happy to replace the whole top part.

When i bought mine i went to my local apple store (i dont know if you have one) and I had a play with them , I never intended on spending £750 that day but i dont regret it :).
  • Options
    I would go IBM or Sony.

Dont bother with a Tosh though, this is my second Tosh and they are fucking useless.
  • Options
    don't want you to think I'm roping you into buying a mac btw, There are plenty of decent laptops out there, If you go for a windows machine you may want to investigate into having it preloaded with XP instead of vista though.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I would go IBM or Sony.

Dont bother with a Tosh though, this is my second Tosh and they are fucking useless.

:yuck: Fuck lenovo. not particularly keen on sony either, especially not their ultra portable line, they seem to make up their own form factors which is a pain in the tits when it comes to replacing parts :(.
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    :yuck: Fuck lenovo. not particularly keen on sony either, especially not their ultra portable line, they seem to make up their own form factors which is a pain in the tits when it comes to replacing parts :(.

Yeah i agree lenovo are a bit cheap and nasty. But my dad has a old IBM (about 3/4 years old) and its never broke once. Everytime my tosh breaks I have to get the IBM out. Im typing now on the IBM, cos my Tosh is back being repaired for the 5th time since I bought it in Feb 07
  • Options
    Acer are OK. They went through a bad batch of LCD screens back in 2003 where the backlight would fail. Technical support will answer your call pretty quickly with technicians from UK/Ireland. The repair centre down in Plymouth (Infoteam formerly Esplex) has very lowly paid staff. They do the job well in the main but we've had laptops back that developed further problems and a small minority that involved poor workmanship (i.e. a screw missing in the base). Courier = DHL.

Toshiba uses a foreign call centre but they answer immediately and they will turn your laptop around within 1 working week. Courier = DHL.

Ergo are based in Nottingham. Their tech support is on an 0115 number (cheaper than 0870) and have a fast and knowledgable on-site response. For laptops with RTB warranty, again no probs. Courier = Amtrak.
  • Options
  • Options
    I've had my Advent laptop for about a year, was a good price and does what I need to do quite easily, which is surf the net and play games. If I want to do serious amounts of typing I use my parents computer. I just need a decent laptop bag.
  • Options
    I'd personally have to go with Dell or Toshiba. My Dad uses a Toshiba for a work laptop and they are damn hard to kill. 4 years of abuse and it still works like a new machine. And my Dell from the same age is still going strong.

Just whatever you do, stay the Hell away from Acer. In my spare time i run a PC repair business and most of the repair jobs i get are Acers.