Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Question About Applying For A Free Bus Pass

Do I need to wait for the council to give me my card (similar to an ID card I think) to say that I'm partially sighted before applying for a bus pass or can I take the paperwork I got fom the eye infirmary instead?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you can get a free bus pass for that? :confused:
    I don't know about where Sofie is but here you can get a free bus pass if you're registered disabled, have certain medical conditions and/or in receipt of certain benefits. I can get a free pass but i use the buses rarely so i dont see the need in wasting time/money giving me one (oo er missus :) ). I also get DLA mobility component and to me that's what it's for, getting about. :)
    otter wrote: »
    you can get a free bus pass for that? :confused:

It's slightly more compkicated than that. Due to a few problems I have with my eyes, I'm not legally allowed to ever drive.
    Sofie wrote: »
    I'm not legally allowed to ever drive.

owch! :(
    Finally got it sorted. Apparantely, I had the wrong form (they wanted a yellow that no-one had sent me) but said mine was acceptable and they photocopied mine :confused: and removed my personal details.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I don't know about where Sofie is but here you can get a free bus pass if you're registered disabled, have certain medical conditions and/or in receipt of certain benefits. I can get a free pass but i use the buses rarely so i dont see the need in wasting time/money giving me one (oo er missus :) ). I also get DLA mobility component and to me that's what it's for, getting about. :)

I think the system is a bit crazy in this respect. I now get both DLA mobility component and a freedom pass (a pass for buses, tubes and trains in London). Getting the DLA money is what meant I automatically qualified for the freedom pass which I use quite a lot and with London's transport prices it saves me loads. But it seems weird that it's when you get the extra money (which is meant to be for costs to do with mobility) that you then don't have to pay for travel? Not that I'm complaining. It just seems that the whole benefits system in this country is messed up.
    I thought DLA was for whatever you chose to use it on, and the mobility issue just entitles you to the money.
    I'm registered partially sighting and hearing and not ever allowed to drive. Am I entitled to a similar pass?
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I'm registered partially sighting and hearing and not ever allowed to drive. Am I entitled to a similar pass?

I assume you would be. Best thing to do would be talk to someone from the council about this.
    you can get a free bus pass if you're registered disabled

Even if you're fit to drive?:confused:
    Sofie wrote: »
    Even if you're fit to drive?:confused:

I believe that being unfit to drive gets you one but you don't have to be unfit to drive in order to get one. I've got a full driving license but am still entitled to one.
    katralla wrote: »
    I thought DLA was for whatever you chose to use it on, and the mobility issue just entitles you to the money.

Yeah, you can spend it on whatever you like but I'm sure they meant it to be something vaguely mobility related.