Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

End of Operation Banner

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6923342.stm

38 years after it began Operation Banner ends.

Comments

• Options
    Its well over due, but its a great step. I guess it kind of shows you that insurgencies cant be won all that quickly.
  • Options
    Good news. I lived less than a 5 minute walk from that massive base in Bessbrook, it was a cunt all those helicopters flying over your house all the time. Bit of normality now thank fuck.
  • Options
    yep bit of normality sounds good to me!

who we gonna throw bricks at now tho ;)
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I guess it kind of shows you that insurgencies cant be won all that quickly.

:yes:

Imagaine what our current media approach would have made on Ireland in the early 70s...
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Its well over due, but its a great step. I guess it kind of shows you that insurgencies cant be won all that quickly.

Partially - but it probably also shows that you don't 'win' in the conventional sense. Winning in 1969 would have been a United Ireland or a Northern Ireland where there is still an RUC and no Sinn Fein in Govt.
  • Options
    Partially - but it probably also shows that you don't 'win' in the conventional sense. Winning in 1969 would have been a United Ireland or a Northern Ireland where there is still an RUC and no Sinn Fein in Govt.

Fair enough, winning isnt really the right term, I was just thinking of the long term nature of problems such as this. Many comentators expect western governments to just bang a few heads together and solve things like this in a few months which is just stupid.