Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you call your Mum 'Mummy'?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I call my parents Mum and Dad officially, but often if I'm creeping then I'll say Mummy and Daddy.

People have given me funny looks when I call my mum Mummy in public though haha, but I don't care! :D
  • Options
    I think people who do are either really immature or are spoilt brats who get everything they want.

Not really. I'm neither immature nor spoilt, and I still call my parents mummy (actually it's more like "mumma", but that's 'cause I speak lazily) and daddy. It's just habit, and all of us do it except Charlotte. I call them mum and dad to people when I talk ABOUT them, especially if it's people I don't know very well, but every other time they are mummy and daddy.
  • Options
    I say mum and dad. Mummy and Daddy sounds really childish and it makes my skin crawl when people are wanting stuff off their parents and they say it in that sickly sweet voice. Ugh.
  • Options
    I call my mum mummy sometimes like if I am feeling all mardy or if I want something or if I can sense a "I can easily wind her up" mood. Same with my dad really.

If I am out in a shop or something or a crowd I call Kim or Dave because there will be lots of mums and dads wont there. My mum hates it though, but it gets her attention.
  • Options
    I can't remember the last time I called my parents anything other than Mum or Dad. In fact my two oldest children have already moved on from Mummy/Daddy...
  • Options
    I call mine "Mum" and "Dad", or collectively "the 'rents" or "my folks".

They call each other Mum and Dad while talking to the kids. The term "the bairns" usually only includes my sisters, who are 10. My brother and I tend to just be known by our names.
  • Options
    I call them 'mum' and 'dad' when speaking to them or speaking about them. But when I am speaking to my sister or the other parent I call them 'Mummy' and 'Daddy'

My mum refers to my Dad as 'Daddy' and my Dad refers to my Mum as either 'Mummy' or 'your Mum'

oh, and I am neither immature nor spoilt. It is just the way I have been raised!!
  • Options
    I used to call them mummy and daddy when i was younger but forced myself to start calling them just mum and dad as i got older to get out of the habit.

I call my sister by her name or various expletives.
  • Options
    What do you mean when you say you're being a creep?
  • Options
    mum, yes, mummy no
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say you're being a creep?
    Like creeping for stuff i'd imagine. i do it when i want something as well, eg. 'mummyyyyyy can you give me a lift to.../can you lend me...' otherwise its just mum & dad to me
  • Options
    Oh I get ya. I've never heard creep used like that, just used like perv or being sneaky, and I was hoping nobody was perving on their parents! :p
  • Options
  • Options
    I will call my dad by other names just to wind him up.
  • Options
    I call my parents mummy and daddy out of habit - I hate it but I'm too old now to suddenly start calling them mum and dad and my mum hates the word 'mum' even though thats what she calls her own mum!
    Generally call her mother if I'm annoyed, or by her first name in public which pisses her off even more.
  • Options
    I do 'Mum' and 'Dad' too. One of my best mates uses 'Mom' but isn't that from the States?
  • Options
    We call ourselves "daddy" and "mummy", and when I was young I would refer to my parents by those names too but as you get older I think one tends to use "mum" and "dad" because they just sound more grown-up to use, and now actually I tend to use "mother" and "father" sometimes with a "my" in front.
  • Options
  • Options
    I honestly didn't think people still called their parents mummy and daddy i've never heard anyone do it since i've been about 8. Mum and Dad take much less effort to say anyway :p
  • Options
    I call my mother ma, short for madre, i only call her that to piss her off cos she hates it...I call her by her name only when she isn't listening to me in public...and i'll call her by her birth name in a norfolk accent (which sounds vile if she's really trying to piss me of...

i have a lovely relationship with my mother! she's more like an older and annoying sister really...maybe we make up for the mutual lack of siblings
  • Options
    i call my parents mum and dad and my step parents by their first names. would only call my mum 'mummy' very rarely.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I call my parents 'mummy' and 'daddy' when i want something from them

Yep same here lol
    Otherwise its just mum and dad and for my siblings i call them my their names
  • Options
    I love being "daddy" though. At least while he's little.
  • Options
    It's mum or mother.
  • Options
    My mum doesn't like being called mum so I have to call her mummy to her face. Any other time though she's mum. Or she gets mother is she's annoying me.
  • Options
    I love being "daddy" though. At least while he's little.

I think when they are young there is no problem with that... it's just when they start getting a bit older most tend to change to Mum and Dad!
  • Options
    both. Mummy's just for hellos and goodbyes.
  • Options
    I find it creepy when people call their Mums "Mummy".

It reminds me of Little Britain.
    bitty.jpg
    BITTY