Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Living in London

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I worked in finsbury park and someone got shot outside my office! - Nice.

OK, but things like that are rare.
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    i would say north london is great for one thing, and another, hackney is great, i.e. stoke newington and such areas, but crap transport links...

Walthamstow and stratford are quite cheap and not that bad, they really aren't as rough as...

:thumb:

I agree. Walthamstow and Stratford have very good transport links and lots of good shopping, etc.
    Saeed M wrote: »
    :thumb:

I agree. Walthamstow and Stratford have very good transport links and lots of good shopping, etc.

I'm moving to 'stow :)

Plus with the whole of East london going under the renovation for 2012 Olympics its going to be better. I've grown up in East london all my life, so it has good points to it, but really- most of it is a dive. If you're going for east, head for Walthamstow, Leyton/stone, Chingford (nice and quiet) Stratford, West Ham or anywhere past Poplar on the DLR.
    1983 wrote: »
    My mate lives in Hackney, he says it's fine. It's getting an overhaul and the housing is dirtcheap. He's not some chav, he works in a prestegious record shop.

My dad was brought up in Hackney, I love the place.
    It's a bit of a ghetto but I know some quality people who live there.

I saw some people mention Finsbury park, seriously that place is dodgy. I had to wait at the bus stop for about 15 minutes and I was surrounded by a gang of drunken 'gangsta's' at like 4pm. lol I then went into that pub which is over the road from the train station to use their toilet and I was eviled by everyone as I walked through it. When I got to the toilet, it was covered in grafitti saying stuff like..
    "Don't come to this pub on a sunday or you'll fucking die!"
    "Any faggots come in here and we'll fuckin stab ya!"
    Lovely place...
    things is wherever you go there are isolated pockets of crime, like the majority of newham is ok, yet a friend of mine got mugged in manor park, and there have been a couple of stabbings in plaistow, but otherwise it's pretty quiet...
    I often cycle through Finsbury Park, often along Queen's Drive which seems fairly nice, with a big park at both ends. I'm not sure Blackstock Road is that nice though so I guess it depends on which part you are.

Canonbury is a very nice area though, and the area around Northchurch Road (just north of Hoxton, just west of Dalston).

You should get yourself a bike too if you really want to get around.
    things is wherever you go there are isolated pockets of crime

Indeed.

Was on the bus between Rich's house and Camden Town once and we saw this kid throw a brick through a car window, steal the stereo and run away with it. In broad daylight.

I was like :eek:
    oh thats nothing...i saw a granny running down the road hitting a teenager with a stick the other day...:lol:
    Ahahaha. Awesome :D.
    Yeah, senior citizen vigilante justice rules.

God knows where i'm living come September. Currently looking for 3 bed flats within zone 1 but my mates' budgets are not as permissive as mine. May just end up getting a room in some randomer's flat just to get a decent location ie. close to the City.
    Sydenham is fine as is Forest Hill. Sydenham might eb a bit run down but there's nothing hugely wrong with it, and Upper Sydenham is quite nice. Shame there aren't any decent pubs/bars here though.

The Dolphin down by Lidl and the Volkswagen garage has just been done up, it's really nice. Good drinks, nice food, fantastic smoking area outside - definitely worth a look if you're in the area!

IMO, London is anything with a London postcode. Having an 020 number, living in a London borough all = greater London. There's a difference.
    The Dolphin down by Lidl and the Volkswagen garage has just been done up, it's really nice. Good drinks, nice food, fantastic smoking area outside - definitely worth a look if you're in the area!

IMO, London is anything with a London postcode. Having an 020 number, living in a London borough all = greater London. There's a difference.

Yeah i saw something about that, might have to go check it out at some point, seeing as i live about a whole 5 minutes up the road, the Golden City in the middle of the high street is my dad's restaurant.
    Omigod, really?!

I'm just round the corner, near Mayow Park. How strange :)

Yeah, the Dolphin's definitely worth having a look at, on weeknights it's not too packed either.
    Yep, been working there on and off since i was 16, so if you've ever been there then I've probably served you :p I'd be the only tall one working there and who doesn't have a chinese accent, lol :)