Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

References

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it common practice to check someone's references before or after an interview? And if a company wants two references, is it acceptable to offer two from different managers at the same company?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its best if its two different people who know you in a different capacity.
    as for before/after it depends. they have to wait for people to write them and reply.
    Oh, I thought it was generally done over the phone? I thought written references were something to bring to the interview instead? Anyway, if you've only had one job, and they request two professional references, then what can you do other than give them two from that company?
    Oh, I thought it was generally done over the phone? I thought written references were something to bring to the interview instead?

not usually.
    otter wrote: »
    not usually.

Oh that's easier then. I was gonna ask my boss to do me one before I started applying. Obviously I guess it's still a good idea to let him know he may be asked for one soon though? I'm sure I've heard him giving a reference over the phone though, about my best friend ironically.
    Obviously I guess it's still a good idea to let him know he may be asked for one soon though?
    :yes: and of course make sure he is willing to do one before you write his name down on your CV/SAF.
    xsazx wrote: »
    if you've only had one place of employment our careers advisor people have said to use someone from uni/school to give an educational reference if that helps =]

:yes: tbh i'd say thats better than 2 from 2 different managers at the same co.