Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

different personalities with different friends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I figured it's about relationships with people so...

Do you find you act differently and build up different impressions with different people?

I'm fairly certain my different groups of friends would describe me differently. For example, my guy mates reckon I'm a bit of a ladette, don't let anything get to me and am really sure of myself. Where as my best girl mates proberly see me as more quiet, sensitive and insecure. I think there's a bit of reciporacol determinisn, as my guy mates think I'm confident, so I act confident with them whereas my girl mates don't, so I'm a lot quieter. I got described as 'so easy going' by one friend the other day, then I mentioned this to another friend and they laughed and asked had they got the wrong Kate?!

I don't act differently on purpose, it just happens. Anyone else find this?

Comments

• Options
    yeah! there are different dynamics in different friend groups. I'm mostly the same but depending on the atmosphere I behave differently. I think it's natural, as long as you're not going out of your way to act somebody you're not!

I'm both known as really patient and withdrawn and then I can be really hyper. Sometimes with the same people though!
  • Options
    I don't act differently on purpose, it just happens. Anyone else find this?
    :yes: i can relate although can't really explain it
  • Options
    Yeah... I 'play dumb' around a lot of people so they don't put me down. I have some male friends in my home town who are really quite patriarchal and if I say anything remotely intelligent they have to beat it. I never understood it at all...

Some groups of friends I am more 'formal' with... Others I'm more sweary and chilled. I'm always sincere mind, but I have groups of mates in different socia-economic classes, from different places ect and I just change my speech and actions a little. I don't change who I am as much as my language.
  • Options
    I act differently around certain people, but I think that's alot to do with the way they act when they're around me. (if that makes sense?)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I act differently around certain people, but I think that's alot to do with the way they act when they're around me. (if that makes sense?)

That how it works with me. It also depends on how well/long you've known someone, the sort of things you do together as well.
  • Options
    I dunno really .. Im pretty much the same but with my school mates or 'posh mates' im seen as the one that went of the rails and a bit messy and that but to my normal mates they reckon im a good girl. Its like im too bad to be a good girl but too good to be a bad girl.
    I can put on my good act when i need to like speak all posh and that but if im with my mates my accent is more local i change automatically i dont mean to.
  • Options
    i act different with different friends because their personalities are different for example a few of my friends are mad so when im with them i act the same a few of my friends arent they are quite quiet so i find my self being quiet with them