Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Better Memory= Better Grades?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion about memory improvement courses are. The reason I am asking because I want to take some of these courses to improve my memory in order to do better in school. I have read that memorization is a key to learning and in reply I would think that if I could improve my memory I would be able to make my school year a lot easier on me. So I have done some research and found a couple of sites. Like the School of Phenomenal Memory and Dr. Bruno's course. I don't know if anyone has any experiences with either these or any other memory improvement course but any help would be great. Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    = a waste of money.
    good grades isn't just about memory; its about applying what you've learned
    vuman wrote: »
    I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion about memory improvement courses are. The reason I am asking because I want to take some of these courses to improve my memory in order to do better in school. I have read that memorization is a key to learning and in reply I would think that if I could improve my memory I would be able to make my school year a lot easier on me. So I have done some research and found a couple of sites. Like the School of Phenomenal Memory and Dr. Bruno's course. I don't know if anyone has any experiences with either these or any other memory improvement course but any help would be great. Thanks.

Imo its a load of tosh. Try taking Ginkgo biloba and Ginseng, helps with concentration and memory. Worked a treat when I was doing my exams.
    I dont know if the particular courses you mention are any good, BUT a good memory is an asset both in school and in life - nothing wrong at all in improving yourself.

Like already said you also need to apply the knowledge BUT if your mind is blank in the first place then you've got nothing to apply - and I know loads of people who have retired and they all say once they retired and stop using their brains in challenging way each day they could see their memories going..

I learnt one memory trick like 15 years ago and still comes in handy from time to time - just not in the habit of applying it myself on a regular basis but does work. But to remember things as a story is how all the best memory experts memorise decks of cards, etc.
    i dunno about the courses but most exams throughout school and uni are simply a case of memorising and regurgitating the curriculum you've learned, so yes it helps to get better grades if you can improve your memory, i read one book on how to use mind maps to cram a lot of knowledge in and simplify revision using word association, i actually applied it to a network security module at uni out of curiousity and got 87% in the test which was the highest, so i guess it worked....no harm in trying it but i didn't exactly pay a lot of money for the book, and like most revision i can't remember a single thing now, meh so much for conventional education.
    This smells like spam to me.
    It's not memory, it's what you do with the information that counts.
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's not memory, it's what you do with the information that counts.

Partly I guess.

But there's no point in applying the information if you can't remember it in the first place.
    Partly I guess.

But there's no point in applying the information if you can't remember it in the first place.
    :yes:

I know I could have done so much better in my exams if I could have remembered what I'd revised, but when it gets to situations like that it just disappears.
    my sociology exam was all a memory game for me.
    If you want to improve your memory try writing a list of random objects on a bit of paper before you go to bed, memorize them, fold it up and put it somewhere safe till the morning then try writing down all of the items on the list without looking (then check to see if you were right) as you get better at remembering everything add more things to the list.
    This would probably work with stuff you actually have to learn as well so might be worth giving it a try with formulas or something.
    To remember a list of things for an exam or something i normally make them into a little ryhme then keep singing the rhym over and over until its lodged in good and proper
    This looks like spam to me too, just a much cleverer subtle way than the ridiculous posts I've seen elsewhere!

Memory is crucial, I went from getting 10A*s at GCSE without much effort to some B/C/D A-Level units to scraping a low 2.1 at uni because I had a photographic, solid memory as a kid which has rapidly declined for some reason. Yes applying knowledge is important but being able to remember the stuff to mention in the first place is crucial.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    This looks like spam to me too, just a much cleverer subtle way than the ridiculous posts I've seen elsewhere!

Memory is crucial, I went from getting 10A*s at GCSE without much effort to some B/C/D A-Level units to scraping a low 2.1 at uni because I had a photographic, solid memory as a kid which has rapidly declined for some reason. Yes applying knowledge is important but being able to remember the stuff to mention in the first place is crucial.

Yes it's clearly spam, so I'm gonna delete the spam posts, but keep the topic going as I think it's really interesting :yes:
    I know nothing about such courses. Maybe they are truthfull. My mother is a doctor and she says my all the time, that the best way to make memory be better is learning poems by heart.
    I think our body has some great potential. And maybe such courses help us to make our potential wider.
    My memory is not very good too. But I don`t do anything with it. I don`t care at all. Sometimes I make some photos to save some moments...
    By the way- when I need some information. I remember the only one thing- I HAVE INTERNET. So I can find it. It`s not a problem nowadays.