Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Learning Grants?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I need to re-do GCSE English, but would rather not do an evening class. (I've found one, but for various reasons, don't want to do it)

Anyway, I was talking to one of the teachers a while back and he told me that it was possible to get a learning grant to pay for the cost of re-doing GCSe English, but according to the careers adviser, no such thing exists.

So, my question is do these learning grants exist? Or would I have to pay for it all by myself?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe she meant getting sponsored by a company or something?
    If you're under 19 you should be able to get reduced course fees for a level 2 qualification (and pay no exam fees), but I think the learning grant your teacher was on about is for adult learners. If you're doing a full time course you should be eligible for EMA I think?
    With EMA you have to do a certain amount of hours per week. (15+ I think) But due to some personal issues, I've decided that returning to education in September isn't a good idea and I know I won't be able to afford the fees some places are asking.
    not sure about the grant
    but if you don't want to do an evening class... may be consider distance learning
    Which is what I was going to do, but it costs about £300 to do so. (which I don't really have)
    I'm not exactly sure if its the same for you because you're younger but when I was retaking my maths GCSE this year i phoned around everywhere and found there is no help towards the cost of retaking your GCSE, unless you're on benefits. (this was my thread http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=107692&highlight=GCSE+maths). It really annoyed me actually, I ended up paying £220 in the end which I couldnt afford. I had to pay more because I paid it in instalments too.

I'd have a try at getting in contact with Connexions, www.connexions-direct.com because they would probably know. I was advised to ring them but they're for 16-19 year olds and i was 22.
    Thank you.