Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Breakdown Cover...word of warning!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sure I can't be the only person on here to have just went for the cheapest breakdown cover...well I found out the hard way earlier this week that the 30 quid cheapest AA cover is useless, same goes for the cheap cover with the RAC or any of the others. So my beloved Mini overheats badly on the motorway. Call out the AA, engine is pretty much cooked, stinks of oil and it'll be a few days in the garage at least. Towing to a local garage isn't really an option in the middle of the night - and anyway I can get repairs done at a local garage much cheaper. But, I'm 70 miles from home and basic AA cover gets you a tow to the local garage or 10 miles... to get home I'd have had to pay 300 pounds!!

Instead (for free) I'm towed to a local Tesco carpark off the motorway...where I wait all night and in the morning I ring around and find a local tow company that will take me home for 130.... But if I'd spent an extra 40 quid and got proper AA cover with Relay (which includes recovery home) I could have saved a lot of money as well as a sleepless night in Tescos! Meh it was an experience and knowing we weren't driving home we got drunk at least, god bless 24/7 Tescos... But anyway, I know there must be other people without proper breakdown cover too, really, it's not worth the risk as I found out!

Comments

• Options
    Go with green flag instead.
  • Options
    Green Flag quoted me over 200 pounds for full cover (and 70 pounds for the crap cover I've got with the AA). Imagine Green Flag were so expensive because they asked for car details (the AA don't) and everybody knows 20 year old Minis break down a lot. When my cars fixed I'll prob just upgrade to proper cover with the AA.
  • Options
    It's the same with all the major breakdown insurance providers.

My insurance was £32 for the year, and I get unlimited relay and a great deal of help. The catch? It's done on reimbursement, so I have to pay at first, but they get the money back to me within 7 days.

It's Martin's top tip too.
  • Options
    I paid £70 a year for full cover with greenflag, but I got it with my insurance so it was much less *whoop*
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's the same with all the major breakdown insurance providers.

Tis true. I used to flog it for a living. :D

You get what you pay for. The cheapest cover will get you to the nearest garage and thats all! You need the higher cover levels if you want to be taken all the way home.
  • Options
    ...and the higher level cover is a rip-off.
  • Options
    I had the cheapest AA cover and your right it is useless. I'm skint now so i've got no cover at all but next time i might look into getting the more expensive one.
  • Options
    You should of asked one of the Tesco employees to ring there breakdown it is free for customers and staff if you breakdown on any of there carparks, also tesco does breakdown only cost me bout £60 to get the full cover breakdown insurance it was a god send when i broke down on the m6 toll and was bout 80 miles away from home they took me home. Get the top one is the best.