Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What was your first love like?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What was your first love like? And if you've had it, how did it affect your future relationships?

I ask cause I'm back home this week on holiday (first time I've been properly home for more than a few days in like six years :o ) and before I left six years ago, I had a six month thing with this girl. We were both really young and it was a puppy love thing and we split up cause she went off with the boy with the car and all that stuff. Then I went off to uni, the relationship affected me for a bit then I was fine, got over it and moved on.

Now I'm back for the week, and for some reason the memories have flooded back big stylee. I find myself comparing all the relationships I've had to the one with her back in 2001. Like I say I've no desire to get back with her or anything (been nattering to her on Bebo and she's 8 months pregnant!) but I can honestly say at no point during any of my relationships since her have I ever been as happy as I was when I was with her. It's probably the only thing I've ever had with anyone that was a great relationship and wasn't really going wrong. I say all that as someone who hasn't any current hang-ups from that or any other relationships at the mo.

Anyway, I'm going back down the road this weekend to where I normally live and there is somebody I've been flirting with and might be a future girlfriend-y type person :blush: Thing is as I type I'm feeling so overly sentimental about 2001 it isn't even funny.

Do these things normally pass? Don't really want to be starting something new and constantly trying to compare it to something in the past, cause that'll fuck anything up.

Cheers :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    My first love, my first true love, is still thought of as "The One That Got Away".

That doesn;t mean that I regret not being with her anymore, more that in my maturity I realise that I fucked up something which had potential.

That said, I wouldn't change my life now.
  • Options
    Ah first love. Always the hardest to get over and the most memorable.

My first love, well, now I'd describe her as a heartless succubus of a woman but at the time it was wild, crazy, devoid of reason or sense but hey, that's love for you.
  • Options
    Easier said than done being you - not at all a dig, just going with what's happened previously - but try not to let it ruin your week away. Do whatever feels right because if you don't act on how you'll feel you'll kick yourself thinking 'wish I did that' etc.

That's how I'd deal with it, and I reckon your first love isn't going to compare to anything you'll get in future, but it's up to you how you let that go. But don't let it get in the way of right now, things in the past stay in the past. Take a tip out from The Lion King. ;)

Just let the good summertimes flow.
  • Options
    First love? Erm... I suppose that would be my first girlfriend. I was with her two years ago. It ended because I wasn't prepared to commit. A stupid decision - to me, she's the one that got away. It didn't really affect my second relationship. I try to avoid carrying baggage from one place to another like that.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Easier said than done being you - not at all a dig, just going with what's happened previously - but try not to let it ruin your week away. Do whatever feels right because if you don't act on how you'll feel you'll kick yourself thinking 'wish I did that' etc.

That's how I'd deal with it, and I reckon your first love isn't going to compare to anything you'll get in future, but it's up to you how you let that go. But don't let it get in the way of right now, things in the past stay in the past. Take a tip out from The Lion King. ;)

Just let the good summertimes flow.

You're right, I do tend to find it hard to let things stay in the past.

But aye, Hakuna Matata and all that jazz I suppose :thumb:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    But aye, Hakuna Matata and all that jazz I suppose :thumb:

Damn skippy.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Complete slut who fucked off with another bloke or 5. Hurrah.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Complete slut who fucked off with another bloke or 5. Hurrah.
    A bit like my second girlfriend, then. :(
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    A bit like my second girlfriend, then. :(
    Least you've had a wealth of oppertunities since. Or something.
  • Options
    I don't know if my first love was really my first love because I had nothing before and nothing since. It wasn't even a real relationship... we didn't get to anything physical before it ended so it was just... a friendship with feelings really.
    But having said that I had the craziest butterflies in my stomach whenever I saw him, and even now hold him in such a high regard, when in all honesty he was a bit of a prat. He's engaged to my best friend from middle school and I'm surprisingly bitter about it...

I hope he wasn't my first love - I'm hoping it's yet to come.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Least you've had a wealth of oppertunities since. Or something.
    I wish there had been that many opportunities. I've met quite a few women since then who I'd be interested in, but the feeling is rarely mutual.
  • Options
    Oh she was beautiful. I used to kiss her poster every night. Then she married Jamie Redknapp, the bitch.
  • Options
    He was a bit of a cock. Fun while it lasted, like.
  • Options
    My first love... hmmm... well he was, well, lovely! The relationship was great... distance was always an issue but we made the most of our time together. Our split was mutual and we kind of stayed in contact.

He actually came down to stay the night a couple of years ago en-route to somewhere else... 5 years had passed, we had both changed but we still got on well. He was pleased to see where I had got to in life, and vice versa... he met my husband (who was very good about it) and we had a bottle of wine and a laugh...

There was no doubt he was my first love, but our relationship is very much in the past and although when I remember that time, it is with very fond memories... I know that my future is much more important! :)
  • Options
    Ah i remember my first love ! it was in like year ten/ eleven at school and we would always be together and we would speak for ages on the phone and go round eachothers houses and we got on really well ....
    ... until i cheated on him at a party and fucked off with a 19 year old with a car.

i got over my first love like that *clicks fingers* but ive had a tough time since trying to get over people even though i dont show it. I felt bad after how i treated my first love but that hasnt stopped me from doing the same to other boys.
    i think it took him a while to move on from me because he took it all quite hard and we did try being mates after but he would allways bring it up and get really touchy and angry about it and stuff.
  • Options
    My real first love was amazing. It was a pretty short relationship but I was sooooo in love with him, it's a real shame it had to end. Boo.
  • Options
    Just spectacular really, a stupidly volotile up and down, completely mystifying, massively painful - but I dont regret it at all and we're still good friends.
  • Options
    3 years of a complete rollercoaster of fantastic highs and violent lows and absolute lust and love. *sigh*
  • Options
    Lasted for 2 years.
    The first year was great, we were always together, we both lost our virginities to eachother and all that malarkey.

The second year, I started falling out of love, getting bored and looking for new things... however I stayed with her for the sake of it, because I didn't know anything else and because I was scared of hurting her and being on my own.
    I shouldn't have let that second year drag on, because it was full of arguments, mainly because I didn't feel the same anymore.

Eventually another girl came along who showed great interest in me, and in a wave of excitement I broke up with my first love to be with this new girl. It was very sudden and cruel, but I paid for it with this new girl... Karma and all that.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    ... Karma and all that.

:yes: karma is a bitch
  • Options
    We were best mates, then he left and joined the army, and I realised how much I missed him so we got it together. Were with each other 10 months, but I only saw him at the weekends because he was off being a solider in the week days. It was good; butterflies, couldn't stop thinking about each other, all exciting and new. Ended a bit nastily as he cheated on me, begged for forgiveness and I refused to go back to him. Something which I've always kinda kicked myself for, but hey can't change to past.

I think it has affected my future relationships in that I trust people less. But I think that would have happened if anyone had cheated on me, not just my first love. I'm also still friends with him, which is difficult at times.
  • Options
    I can quite safely say I've never been love. And pretty much all the guys I've dated/been out with etc have turned out to be utter cunts.

Which may make me sound bitter, but I'm not.