Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First Car

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Take the new VRX8 for example. This car has an official combined consumption of 15.3mpg. Shocking, but it's on my list of cars to buy next, even though it drinks like a fish. OMG, it's not an SUV so nobody will give a shit?!
    People criticise SUV's because they are the most common. They are bought by people who can be persuaded to change. When someone's bought a car to drive for pleasure, it's kinda hard to ask them not to choose the car that will offer them the best driving experience. Most younger drivers have no choice but to buy an older (more dangerous) car. But people who buy SUV's do actually go into the showroom with the money to buy a wide range of different cars to suit their needs. What's wrong with trying to encourage them to pick the one that is equally practical, but more economical and less dangerous to other road users? Like I said, I reckon the reduction in 4x4's being bought has proved that a lot of people have been persuaded.

I must admit though, I do have a particular dislike for any SUV, which was designed for road use (no problem with the range rover or land cruiser). Does that not defeat the object? That's not exclusive to SUV's though. I also have a dislike for a car that looks a sports car, but doesn't go like one. It's like having a van with no cargo place or a bus with nowhere for passengers. I don't see the point. :p
  • Options
    Maybe you could have your SUV argument somewhere else and leave this thread for its actual purpose, IE discussing the OP's first car?
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Maybe you could have your SUV argument somewhere else and leave this thread for its actual purpose, IE discussing the OP's first car?

:yes:
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I merely add that I would agree with those who say it's useful to use more than one car when learning to drive. I learnt in a Renault Megane, one of the newest models of that particular car. It had six-speed transmission, power steering and all the fancy gadgets that modern cars have. I'm now driving a Citroen Saxo from 1995 which has almost none of those things. It's quite a different experience, to say the least.

Yep, story of most learner drivers! I learned in a new diesel corsa (also drove diesel yaris) and when I passed I aquired a beat up 95 petrol fiesta with ALOT of personality and a very cranky gearbox. (by personality I mean it has a mind of its own and decides when things will work and when they wont, and if it doesn't want to go into 2nd gear on a roundabout then damnit it wont!) It was a completly new driving experience. It has power steering but nowhere near as effective as the newer cars. However, it didn't take me long to get used to and and I love driving it now. You'll get used to driving any car, even if its insane like mine ;)
  • Options
    An old 1.1 Fiesta will run and run (within reason) as long as you take care of it, its cheap to run, cheap to insure and its cheap-ish to repair.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    Im not a fan of the 'small, reliable, economical' cars such as fiesta, corsa, yaris, micra, ka.
    I like something a bit different.

Yeah, I am also going for something a bit different from most people my age for my first car. I need the boot space that you just can't get with these little cars, and I'd quite like 5 doors so that people don't have to clamber over the front seats to get into the back.

I don't know quite what yet, but I'm sure I'll find something that just feels right.
  • Options
    Sera wrote: »
    Yeah, I am also going for something a bit different from most people my age for my first car. I need the boot space that you just can't get with these little cars, and I'd quite like 5 doors so that people don't have to clamber over the front seats to get into the back.

I don't know quite what yet, but I'm sure I'll find something that just feels right.

One of these:

P1100013.JPG

I've got one, and it's really good. Nice to drive, lots of space, quiet, just enough luxuries to entertain you, and the 1.6 is more economical than most small and medium cars of a similar age. Cheaper to insure too.
  • Options
    One of these:

P1100013.JPG

I've got one, and it's really good. Nice to drive, lots of space, quiet, just enough luxuries to entertain you, and the 1.6 is more economical than most small and medium cars of a similar age. Cheaper to insure too.

Cheaper to insure? I'm assuming that your first car is soon after you have passed your test, if you try and insure that as a 19 year old male in London and you'll pay as much as the car is worth per year.
  • Options
    One of these:
    *pic*

Yes, one of those!

Is that a Primera? My ex boyfriend is on his second Primera. We found it very reliable.

I've been looking at Vauxhall Astras - the non-hatchback ones. I was pleasantly surprised at the insurance quotes I got for a 1.6 Astra Sport. It seems that now I've turned 21 the prices have dropped.

Budda, I looked at confused.com and Quinn Direct were giving very good insurance quotes, even for somebody with just a provisional license.
  • Options
    Sera wrote: »
    Budda, I looked at confused.com and Quinn Direct were giving very good insurance quotes, even for somebody with just a provisional license.

Fair enough, I havent owned a car for a while now so I cant really comment.
  • Options

I'm glad that you personally think like that, and I think it would be a far better world if more people did, but I think it's undeniable that social status has a huge influence on most people's choice of car. If you disagree,

I don't disagree with that, at all.

Can't comment much as I am going out in 2 minutes, and Mist is right, we've gone a bit off topic here... But to answer the Lexus/Toyota thing is that Lexus is their luxury brand, made to higher qualities with more kit etc etc so instantly attracts a higher status than a 'humble' Toyota.

Right - time to get leathered and dance :D