Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Completely changing career

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's something I'm considering but I'm nervous.

Has anyone given up on what they are doing and taken on something completely different? I'm so bad at making decisions, even silly ones like what to have for lunch, so making choices like this is really hard for me.

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    katchika wrote: »

Has anyone given up on what they are doing and taken on something completely different? I'm so bad at making decisions, even silly ones like what to have for lunch, so making choices like this is really hard for me.

I'm in the same predicament. At the moment I'm a carpet fitter and paid well but I hate it, but my mate just yesterday offered me a job flying birds of prey for use as pest control. It's a drop in money and something pretty new but I know I'll enjoy it.

I do what I think will make me happy, and that isn't always what makes me the most money.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go for it ! might as well even if everything fucks up for a while its good to take chances and you only live once yadda yadda yadda ..

like im dropping a really good job (for a seventeen-yr-old anyway) at my county council to go back to college to do media ! bit of a gamble as i finish this job in a few weeks and i havent got a part time one yet and if i fail at college il have to pay to do it all again and shit but ah well at least im doing what i want to do for a change

just out of interest - what field are you leaving and going into ?
    Skive wrote: »
    I'm in the same predicament. At the moment I'm a carpet fitter and paid well but I hate it, but my mate just yesterday offered me a job flying birds of prey for use as pest control. It's a drop in money and something pretty new but I know I'll enjoy it.

I do what I think will make me happy, and that isn't always what makes me the most money.

Go Go Go - unless your going to be earing complete peanuts then do whats happy as long as it means you can afford to live.

Kachinka my advice is the same - even if your old changing your carrear is always possible and your definately not old.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Go Go Go - unless your going to be earing complete peanuts then do whats happy as long as it means you can afford to live.

Thanks :thumb: It's reassuring when people tell you you're makign the right choice. I'm off work at the moment any way because I broke my foot, and as I'm self employed at the moment I can leave easilly. At £80/day the money's half of what I earn now but I think I think the enjoyment I'l get out of it will more than make up for it.
    Weekender Offender 
    good luck, i am considering changing career atm as well as flying halfway across the world to teach in SE asia, the only thing keeping me in this job is the money, very hard to give up what is potentially a lucrative career but i suppose i can always go back to it, thing is once i leave i'm pretty sure i won't come back!
    good luck, i am considering changing career atm as well as flying halfway across the world to teach in SE asia.

I would love to teach in Asia. Are you a qualified teacher or not ??
    no but you don't have to be as long as you have a degree and are a native english speaker, the demand is so high you can pick and choose the best spots in s korea, china, indonesia etc and there are quite a few agencies here that can arrange phone interviews and give advice....the school year starts in september so if you want to go now is the best time, but i'm sure you can find placements after that, i just need a change of scenery and asia is the future so it's really a matter of when not if.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

That's totally understandable. The good thing about your current career is that you have lots of transferable skills, you've got qualifications for it so you can go back to it if you change your mind again and you can also keep your hand in by doing bits and pieces in your spare time if you so wish. What are you thinking of doing?
    Skive wrote: »
    my mate just yesterday offered me a job flying birds of prey for use as pest control.

that sounds cool :cool:
    I'm doing this (sort of), i've spent the last 5 years doing the same kinda thing and even though i am slowly but surely climbing my way up i've decided that i've had enough, and that the moment i started not wanting to get up in the morning cos i was so miserable was the time to do something. So i'm going back to college in September with a load of 16 year olds. Greeeeat :hyper: :yeees: It's gonna mean surviving on the bare minimum (a part time job will just about cover my bills), but i'm sure it'll be worth it in the long run.
    **Helen** wrote: »
    That's totally understandable. The good thing about your current career is that you have lots of transferable skills, you've got qualifications for it so you can go back to it if you change your mind again and you can also keep your hand in by doing bits and pieces in your spare time if you so wish. What are you thinking of doing?

I don't know..I'm so bad at decision making. I just hate the crap "city" I live in, am making shit money and dread going to work. It's not working out and I need a change before I go mental.

I really want to move to London although everyone keeps putting me off by saying how expensive it is (I know!)
    good luck, i am considering changing career atm as well as flying halfway across the world to teach in SE asia, the only thing keeping me in this job is the money, very hard to give up what is potentially a lucrative career but i suppose i can always go back to it, thing is once i leave i'm pretty sure i won't come back!

No way, me too! I'm applying to go to Japan before the end of the year. The way I figure it, this might be the only time in my life when I don't have something tying me in a particular place (hell, even my phone contract's ended, and I refuse to renew it). It's an opportunity to travel, essentially for free. Oh, and in Japan, all of the language schools hiring are private companies, so they're not tied to the school year, so they hire all year round.

The way I see it, unless you've got financial obligations (mortgage, kids etc) any extra money you earn in your life is only going to go on things that don't matter. You might be able to afford a better car, a bigger TV, a nicer place to live, but none of this shit can buy new experiences. As long as you're earning enough to live on, I say get out there and do something which you're going to enjoy.

Oh, and Skive, that sounds like the coolest job ever. And I imagine carpet fitting isn't exactly something that you couldn't go back to if it didn't work out?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I don't know..I'm so bad at decision making. I just hate the crap "city" I live in, am making shit money and dread going to work. It's not working out and I need a change before I go mental.

I really want to move to London although everyone keeps putting me off by saying how expensive it is (I know!)

Yes, it is expensive but then you're not a first jobber so you're likely to be able to find something decent for a better salary. It might not feel like you have more money for a while, but then as you get to know the city you will realise that not everywhere is so extortionate. The thing is, it is generally expensive to live by yourself and I get the impression that's something you've got really used to. London is so much more affordable if you share. If you were willing to do that again then I think you'd find the money side of things OK.

Have you started to look at specific jobs/speak to agencies?