Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paternity leave please help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry Helen i must not have xplained it very well so i will try again.

I am not entitled to Paternity Pay at all as i have not worked at my current job for long enough, however, i read that you are entitled to 3 months UNPAID paternity leave irregardless or how long you have been there.
Can anyone claify that?

Secondly, i just want to know if i hand my notice in can i use the above as my 4 weeks notice.
I.e. say here's my notice and i am taking 4 weeks paternity leave.

Thanks
Matt

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Matt,
    According to TheSite's factsheet, the entitlement for paid paternity leave is actually not three months but one or two weeks, and as you point out, you won't have been working there for the 41 weeks required to be entitled. Therefore your chances of getting it seem pretty slim I'm afraid, especially as you need to have given 15 weeks notice. In other words, your company may offer it on good will, but they don't legally have to.

The directgov website has tailored interactive guidance that you might find helpful to get clarification.

As to taking unpaid leave and then handing in your notice - I'm afraid I can't give a definite answer, but I'm 99.9% sure it would be no. There's a good chance other people will know, but if not then you can always use our askTheSite service.

Best of luck and I hope everything goes well :)