Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Legal working hours

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My bf works for a UPS company and today they asked him to work all through the night, having worked since 5am this morning and a 6 o clock start tomorrow and sunday too. He refused of course. The guys there often end up working illegal hours or be asked to work with out the (is it 12 hour) break. Just wondering how wrong this is?

Comments

• Options
    11 hour break between shifts, but I believe you can opt out of it so wouldn't be illegal if he 'agreed' to it.

Is he driving though? The guidelines for driving may be tighter.
  • Options
    11 hour break between shifts, but I believe you can opt out of it so wouldn't be illegal if he 'agreed' to it.

Is he driving though? The guidelines for driving may be tighter.

yeah he would have been
  • Options
    Shifts that are longer then 4 hours entitles you to a 30 min break. I'm not sure what the longest legal shift you can work, but 5AM and going around the clock definitely steps over the line by a long way. The longest I've known anyone to do is 7AM-8PM which was few and far inbetween.
  • Options
    We used to do 0545 - 2230 ones not infrequently at the pool.
  • Options
  • Options
    Whoa!! Is this true? I've been on 20 days annual leave for the last 5 years. So, I'll be getting 24 from Oct and 28 from next year?
  • Options
    yup, our work is hiring more people to cover holidays, apparently it's costing us a fortune :p im on 20atm but cant wait for 28, boo ya
  • Options
  • Options
    Hold on guys, don't get too excited.

This will only apply if you don't currently get paid bank holidays through your work. If you do then there's no change - it's just to ensure that everyone gets 8 paid bank holidays a year as well as their minimum 4 weeks paid holiday.
    Are they gonna bring in a rule where you have to have overtime on bank holidays (and Christmas, and Boxing Day) as well? :grump: *bitter*
  • Options
  • Options
    'Fraid not love.
    :(

Ah well. Serves me right, I guess, for working somewhere which is only closed on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    Hold on guys, don't get too excited.

This will only apply if you don't currently get paid bank holidays through your work. If you do then there's no change - it's just to ensure that everyone gets 8 paid bank holidays a year as well as their minimum 4 weeks paid holiday.
    I know, but I DONT i work bank holiday and Xmas or new year as it's a Hotel