Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Home Secretary Smoked Cannabis at University

WHO THE FUCK CARES???

Does it make her a criminal? No. Does it make her a junkie? No. Is she in a minority of people by having smoked pot a few times? No. Is this news? Not really. Does anyone really care about this? No.

So why is it the main story of the BBC web page?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6905886.stm

(or better just http://news.bbc.co.uk)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was just about to say the same, who gives a shit? It's like me standing up and saying "I ATE A FLAPJACK FOR BREAKFAST INSTEAD OF A BALANCED MEAL"
  • Options
    I think it would be more impressive if she had said 'I went through university without smoking cannabis' - in my experience virtually everyone who goes at least tries it.
  • Options
    Suspect she is fessing up now rather than it being produced as some kind of scandal later as she's been asked to head up this review thing.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I think it would be more impressive if she had said 'I went through university without smoking cannabis' - in my experience virtually everyone who goes at least tries it.

Exactly.

In 10, 20, 30 years time the whole cabinet (hell the whole House of Commons) will probably be full of people who've done weed/pills and coke when they were at uni. We'll probably look back at stories like this and just think "what the fuck was all that fuss about?"

Saying that, she can use it to her advantage now she's heading up this drugs review thing and be open about it, not like David Cameron who just tried to sweep it under the carpet cause it would've pissed off so many old Tory voters in Middle England.
  • Options
    She was probably pre-empting the tabloids. You know there is going to be at least one twat or two out there who went to uni with her and is going to try to sell the story to the gutter press.
  • Options
    The Mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg, when asked before he became mayor if he had ever smoked marijuana, said: "You bet I did. And I enjoyed it."

Now that's an honest answer ... ! :)
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    In 10, 20, 30 years time the whole cabinet (hell the whole House of Commons) will probably be full of people who've done weed/pills and coke when they were at uni.

What makes you think that isn't the case already? ;)

I'm impressed that she just outed herself rather than wait for it to become a scandal. More honest politicians can only be a good thing IMHO.
  • Options
    pffft so did everyone. Big Deal. What are they going to say next? I smoked cigarettes? I got drunk once? Why do we even need to know?
  • Options
    Well she's beeen honest about it, but I don't buy the whole "I'm remorseful" thing. She only gives a shit because it's come back to bite her arse, how many people who've had a spliff have really regretted it because they broke the law?

She should be coming out with the whole "Well it was something we do when we're young, but I'm sure as fuck not alone. Let's have a big think-tank and debate about the use of cannabis among young people and see if we can have a more sensible approach to it, because I'm not so sure it's something that I or anybody else should be throughly ashamed of themslves for"

Now that would be a new approach to tackling things in Government, but as predicted Gordon is just as scared of approaching things radically than anybody else was.
  • Options

I agree. I fail to see why this makes front page news, time and time again.
  • Options
    Presumably because those who perpetuate the status quo of anti drug legislation get asked all the time whether they ever tried any. By coming forward politicians try to make themselves look honest and pretend they have learnt from the terrible mistakes they did in the past.

Wankers.
  • Options
    I'm sure she was being "honest", as I'm sure she won't at all have been tipped off that a newspaper had a scoop on her.

Still, it cleverly deflects attention from the fact that old Gordon is more right-wing than Thatcher. He's been doing all the typical Tory tricks- tax the poor not the rich, victimise single mothers, and now get his panties in a wad about soft drugs. He's worse than Blair, which is no mean feat.
  • Options
    Who cares? It's not as if she was the only person to do, is it?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    OMFG SOMEONE DID DRUGS ONCE?!!!
    She must be the only person ever. After all, it's like like G.W Bush was a coke head was it?
  • Options
    Erm... no, it's no good. No matter how much I try, I still cannot give a shit about this.
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking that, for once, we are all in agreement over something?

Kermit? Nothing to say? :p
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking that, for once, we are all in agreement over something?

Kermit? Nothing to say? :p

Something like that.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    She must be the only person ever. After all, it's like like G.W Bush was a coke head was it?

There is some debate as to whether it was the drinking and the coke which did for his brain or whether there wasnt much there to begin with.
  • Options
    WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK

if she said she was snorting lines before every lecture then things might be different
  • Options
    There are some that I have heard claim that cannabis is the beginning of a slippery slope deep into the abyss of self destruction.

Considering that she has ended up as Home Secretary I feel that claim needs further investigation.
  • Options
    she obviously wanted to be cool and contro

couldnt give a fuck to be honest
  • Options
    There is some debate as to whether it was the drinking and the coke which did for his brain or whether there wasnt much there to begin with.

Looking at his behaviour, I reckon he's still getting high to this day. Heading for the wrong doors and is highly stonerish.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    Looking at his behaviour, I reckon he's still getting high to this day. Heading for the wrong doors and is highly stonerish.

Yeah, how many stoners here have accidently wandered into a cupboard? I have. It was interseting in there mind. Found my old Yoyo! :D

Who cares if he is? The only problem is it seems to be making paranoid about the whole world wanting to get him.
  • Options

I totally agree with you there. Although I've not done it myself, pretty much everyone I knew from uni did it. It's like everyone does it. Who gives a damn about the politician having done it?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Yeah, how many stoners here have accidently wandered into a cupboard?

Whereas the Home Secretary just wandered into a cabinet :D ZING!
  • Options

That was terrible.
  • Options
    Meh, there all on the ching anyway. They'd have to be to justify half the shit they come out with.
  • Options

:lol: Some would say that was a big mistake.