Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lunch breaks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, how much time do you get for lunch break at work?

Im used to getting 1 hour. I thought that was pretty normal. Fair enough if I have shit loads to do I would come back early. But in this new job i get 36 minutes for lunch. :(

Just wondering what others get, cos 36 minutes well pisses me off ?

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    45 mins apparently.

But I have flexi-time as I work for da government :D
    make it up as you go along! :p
  • Options
    what an odd number :p i get an hour. every other job ive had was 30 min. the hour is nice as i can run errands during it
  • Options
    36 minutes? I understand that - 37 hour week, 7 hr 24 min per day which means 36 min lunch. I had this when I was on placement with local gov't back in 2001.

My current job gives me a 30-min break which is fine. All I'm doing is eating sandwiches and an apple which I brought from home. No need for an hour. Just get the 30 min over with and shorten the day slightly.
  • Options
    Unless you're working 10hours or more the legal minimum is 30 minutes.
  • Options
    i get one unpaid 30min break and one paid 15minute break

but all i do is eat dinner (which they cook us :D)
  • Options
    i get an hour - but i rarely take it - as i mostly eat lunch at my desk - though sometimes we do go out but its quite rare. But I have flexi time as well so I could take longer if I wanted somedays.

In a previous job we got 30 mins unpaid and then two 15 min breaks which were paid - which was fine for everyone who worked up in newcastle on an industrial estate because the packing line stopped for 15 mins and then everyone even if they were in the offices went to sit in the tea room twice a day plus you couldnt' go anywhere for lunch so 30 mins was ok. But in london with 4 of us and no tea lady we rarely took the 15 mins twice a day and thoght an hour for lunch would be better as we could go places but they kept saying no
  • Options
    30 mins. There's nowhere around to go, though, so an hour would just be annoying.
  • Options
    Ours is unpaid, we're expected to take between 30 mins and 1 hour 30.

36 mins doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    30 mins on a 12hr shift today.

Hurrah!
  • Options
  • Options
    I get half an hour, which I don't officially take but seeing as firstly, there isn't anything to do and secondly, I shirk around for a fair proportion of the day anyway I don't see the point in actually "taking lunch" as such.
  • Options
    I've worked 13 hours with 20 minutes break before. Not fun.
  • Options
    30 minutes, but I do get to go home half an hour early on a Friday.
  • Options
    I manage my own time and usually take between 45 and 60 minutes, unless super-busy.
  • Options
    When I did my work placement, I got 30 minutes and when the children were having their snack, we were allowed to have a drink and some food.
  • Options
    Long as I want, really. Usually 30minutes at least. :)
  • Options
    30 mins for lunch and I work 9-4.30. Which is better then my last job which was 9-6 and 20 mins lunch if I was lucky.
  • Options
    I get 35 mins and work from 8.30am to 4.35pm.

In 35 mins I can JUST get to Tesco and back, but other than that, there is nowhere to go anyway so we just tend to leave our offices and sit in one of the meeting rooms to eat and chat.

The odd end time is something to do with a lot of companies all being on one road and staggering the leave times to help the traffic flow.
  • Options
    I currently get 30 min. In my old one I didn't really get one... it was a shit job so I tried to do as little work as possible anyway. :D

In my future field I'll get a lot of long breaks per each 12 hour shift, wheeee.