Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

indoor plants

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone an ace at keeping house plants alive and happy?

has anyone planted a herb window box and whats the best way to go about it?

i have 2 north facing windows with direct sun light and one east and brick wall facing window...

i want to have some ferns and flowering smelly things but not sure whats good...

Comments

• Options
    bamboo!

How well are you at keeping things alive. I have a spider plant, bamboo and another one of those plants that grow like crazy, all you have to do is cut a branch off and it will grow another plant, one of those...

anyways, those have all lived, and I've killed several cactuses, so you could be death and they'd flourish.

I've heard aloe vera plants are easy too (and usefull). My grandma always had lots of those.

But I guess none of those are pretty smelling or tastey.
  • Options
    ferns wont like direct sunlight. Youre better off having them in a corner of your room. They obviously need some natural light, but not directly on them.
    As for scented flowers, it depends what sort you want.
  • Options
    just get artificial ones- there piss easy to keep alive :thumb:
  • Options
    Jasmine plants smell devine, and if the one I have is anything to go by they are quite hardy.

Or a little chilli bush can be nice.
  • Options
    I've got an aloe vera plant that has had no love tlc or anything and is still doing really well 3 years after I got it.
  • Options
    All miy plants I've ever had died :( Le sigh
  • Options
    i'd like to have ferns, and herbs (coriander, lavender, basil, thyme, rosemary), orchids, bromiliads, roses, jasmine

i'd like to plant an indoor garden :D
  • Options
    Surely a north facing window won't get much direct sunlight?
  • Options
    gets tones, cos i'm 2nd floor and there aren't many other tall buildings
  • Options
    gets tones, cos i'm 2nd floor and there aren't many other tall buildings

But the sun moves across the southern sky, not the northern...
  • Options
    But the sun moves across the southern sky, not the northern...

It may well not be directly north, and even if it is, although it might not get direct sun light it may well get lots of light if it is not over shaddowed at any point during the day. Or she is in the Southern Hemisphere.
  • Options
    nope still in london, which i presuming is still in the northen hemisphere unless we have had something terrible happen to the axis of the earth or something like that

anyway, it's still quite a sunny window, not as sunny as being south facing but much more than being stuck against a brick wall. i think the fact i'm quite high above everything else as well has something so do with it...

so does anyone have any tips on how to keep houseplants?
  • Options
    In pots. The whole loose soil thing doesn't work very well.:p
  • Options
    In pots. The whole loose soil thing doesn't work very well.:p

Yeah, and add water frequently. :p

Christ, I'm certainly no Green Fingers... I can kill any plant.
  • Options
    anyone an ace at keeping house plants alive and happy?

has anyone planted a herb window box and whats the best way to go about it?

i have 2 north facing windows with direct sun light and one east and brick wall facing window...

i want to have some ferns and flowering smelly things but not sure whats good...
    My mum is a proper plant lover and she's always out in the garden. For her indoor plants she always says she hardly ever waters them - one a month if that. And I can honestly say that none of our indoor plants are dead or dry. I really don't know how she does it, but she claims to have trained them into only needing monthly juice.

My aunt who used to water her indoor plants every day has started doing the same thing my mum does and she's noticing a difference.

I mean, I don't know really cos I don't water my mum plants so im only going by what she has says and what I have noticed. But maybe you could try it and see if that works?!
  • Options
    my plants die if i don't water them everyday!

seeing as i've just been given a tomato plant, its not really going to survive very well without water
  • Options
    Using vermiciliaite or perlite are very good in the soil, the lock in moisture and nuitriment and mean that its harder to under or over water.
  • Options
    Unless you're starting them yourself, I think you should buy them from a good nursery and not just a regular store. My mom is always telling me how beautiful and long the flowers and plants last that they get from a good place while the other ones, where the care they get is some teenagers watering them occasionally, die quite quick no matter what she does.
  • Options
    I've got a spider plant in my room. It's fantastic - if the leaves start going a bit pale you water it. Otherwise you leave it. They grow baby plants and all sorts - fantastic! :D
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    I've got a spider plant in my room. It's fantastic - if the leaves start going a bit pale you water it. Otherwise you leave it. They grow baby plants and all sorts - fantastic! :D

Aren't they though :D They can be almost dead and you water it once and it will come back to life too! I got given a baby one from a friend a good year or so ago and its just huge (and still alive) now. Making baby's of its own.