Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Just bought a Corsa...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
But now I'm hearing awful things about their gearboxes. It's a T (99) reg so it's not new or anything. But I've had a diagnostic done by the Vauxhaull garage and there is indeed a problem with the gearbox - it needs a new linkage or something.

So, I'm really annoyed and really quite resentful of my first car, having spent over 2 grand all told - to find out I gotta pay another 200 quid to have it fixed.

Urgh, do you think I'd be better off selling it and getting something newer??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    can you get your money back?
    Any clues as to what it's going to be like after the repair is done? Is it a recurrent problem or one that once fixed should be over and done with.

Newer you are probably less likely to have problems with, but will cost you more and depreciate more. If you can, try and make sure you have a bloke in on any discussions about buying cars or repairing them and have a good google, a quick search wil flag up likely problems and anything you should know about from car forums.
    ive had my corsa for over 4 years (its ancient) and havent had problems with the gearbox so far
    can you get your money back?
    No, if I sold it privately, I'd lose money on it, but tbh it's not enough of a loss to lose sleep over. All that matters is that I've got a car that I can drive comfortably...

The issue with the gearbox is apparently a general fault with most Corsas of that age, or so I was told on a motoring forum. So once it's fixed, it's done and dusted.

I'll get the work done anyway, and then think about reselling if the gearbox still isn't up to scratch after it's had a new linkage....

Thanks x
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Dodgy Gear Linkage is not a serious problem and really shouldn't be costing you £200.
    If it's just need ajusting it shoudln't really cost more than £50. If it's actually broken it will cost yu more as you need a new part and it needs intalling but £200 is still too steep.

Shop around.
    Weekender Offender 
    I haven't got the time, energy or inclination to shop around tbh.

That includes parts, (the linkage is dead and needs replacing completely) labour and the original diagnostic. But considering I won't have to pay for the labour, it'll only be around £100, probably less. The diagnostic was about £50.