Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting cut off.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If I didn't pay my gas/electric/water bills for a while, would I get cut off? If so, how long would they leave it? And, would if affect my credit rating?

Comments

• Options
    I believe in England you can still get cut off, however in scotland I believe it's illegal to cut off water (unsure about other things) but then again waters free in scotland, only pay for waste disposal :p

byt this is of the top of my head.
  • Options
    I'm in Wales and we can get cut off if we don't pay the bill. You get a certain amount of letters and then they cut you off. I'm not sure about water though, but definatly for gas and electric. On ours it costs £100 to reconnect!!
  • Options
    Water they can't disconnect, gas and electric they can. I think it will take a good few months though before they cut you off. They send you the bill...about 3 reminders and then they start threatening bailiffs, you start getting letters of bailiffs and if they still haven't had any success will cut you off. It will also seriously effect your credit rating as does any bills you don't pay by the date they are due.

*This is only from my experience of what british gas were trying to do to us because the people in our rented flat before us never paid their bills.
  • Options
    They can't disconnect water, but they can disconnect your gas and electricity. They'd probably want you to go on a pre-payment meter, which is more expensive.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    They can't disconnect water, but they can disconnect your gas and electricity. They'd probably want you to go on a pre-payment meter, which is more expensive.

Yeah they cant cut your water off. The energy company I work for will not disconnect you (electrcity/ gas), however they will put you on a pre-payment meter. This does depend on the energy company.

A point I learnt the other day was if your not in the house to supervise they will not cut your gas off under any circumstances. If your not in when they come to cut the electricty off- tough shit, they will break in and change the locks. So make sure you pay your electricty bill first. ;)

The company I work for would only take action on the 65th day after the bill date. By asking a collection agency to recover the outstanding debt.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Im about to get cut off my mobile! Its 2 weeks late! I've lost my frickin job and cant afford to pay it! Not for another month at least (unless I get a job by then). Its not the first time I've payed my bill late, but this time it wont be a week or two late, it'll be a month at least!

What the fook can I do?
  • Options
    no idea. I've only ever payed a water bill late- and that was by accident, oh and a council tax bill but it was wrong anyway... Have you phoned them? You can sometimes negotiate payment dates and amounts- they'd rather get their money, than have the hassel of debt collection.
  • Options
    MancDan wrote: »

What the fook can I do?

Call them and speak with them. Companies are usually helpful and will carry over any debt or give you some breathing space. If you dont let them know your in trouble they cant help.

And dont worry it wont effect your credit rating as much as missing a payment would.
  • Options
    Call them and speak with them. Companies are usually helpful and will carry over any debt or give you some breathing space.

This.

Naturally, all companies want you to stump up the cash you owe them, and most would rather do it with the least amount of hassle. It is genuinely worthwhile showing that you're making the effort to pay, rather than simply ignoring the reminders etc.

As far as credit ratings go, I guess it depends. All I know is that I've missed a fair few payents over the years, but when I've ordered credit reports in recent times, there's never been anything on them.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Draugen wrote: »
    This.

Naturally, all companies want you to stump up the cash you owe them, and most would rather do it with the least amount of hassle. It is genuinely worthwhile showing that you're making the effort to pay, rather than simply ignoring the reminders etc.

As far as credit ratings go, I guess it depends. All I know is that I've missed a fair few payents over the years, but when I've ordered credit reports in recent times, there's never been anything on them.
    I'm the same.

My local Subway is Wakefield Rd btw :p:D
  • Options
    MancDan wrote: »
    What the fook can I do?

Not very much, really. If you don't pay up you will be disconnected until you do so, and no amount of negotiation will change that.

For a few weeks you should be able to get a hold placed on the account if you asked them really nicely, but I doubt that they will allow you to continue using your phone until you pay the bill.