Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

SLC: The policy on failed years

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello everyone,

I failed my last year due to illness and was wondering if I am entitled to any help from SLC at all. Will tuition fees be paid or grants given?
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I hope I don't sound like a failing bum-I was really ill and had consent from my course director-however since all my payments had been paid, I didn't inform the SLC-will I be ordered to pay it back?

Any help much appreciated.

U may email me direct if you like:banghead:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do I take it from that that you are planning to retake the year that you failed then?

Did you complete the year, and then fail it, or did you drop out part way through the year?

It's not actually the SLC you need to be dealing with (to begin with at least). You're LEA (the ones you send the initial paperwork to, probably your local council) get to decide whether or not you will be given funding for a retake year. Generally if you've got a good reason for failing then they are fine about it, you get funding like you did the year before, so you'll only pay 'normal' UK tuition fees, and you'll be entitled to another years worth of loan.

Best plan is to ring up your LEA and ask to talk to someone about student finance. You should also be able to get through to them through the general phone number for your county council.
    Do I take it from that that you are planning to retake the year that you failed then?

Did you complete the year, and then fail it, or did you drop out part way through the year?

It's not actually the SLC you need to be dealing with (to begin with at least). You're LEA (the ones you send the initial paperwork to, probably your local council) get to decide whether or not you will be given funding for a retake year. Generally if you've got a good reason for failing then they are fine about it, you get funding like you did the year before, so you'll only pay 'normal' UK tuition fees, and you'll be entitled to another years worth of loan.

Best plan is to ring up your LEA and ask to talk to someone about student finance. You should also be able to get through to them through the general phone number for your county council.
    i dropped out half way through the year-and i don't deal with the LEA because the area i live in is part of some sort of pilot scheme where everything is centralized at Darlington or something like that.
    In which case ring up the people in Darlington then.

Your personnel tutor at university should be able to help you with this as well. Precisely what you need to do varies from area to area and uni to uni. I take it you've tried logging into the student finance website and seeing if the option is there to apply for next years finance?
    In which case ring up the people in Darlington then.

Your personnel tutor at university should be able to help you with this as well. Precisely what you need to do varies from area to area and uni to uni. I take it you've tried logging into the student finance website and seeing if the option is there to apply for next years finance?
    I've already applied but it assumed I wanted to move onto year 3. Uni tutor's are enjoying their holiday's now it seems-i can't get through to any uni tutors at all.

Thanks 4 ur help
    In which case it seems that no one notified them that you had dropped out, which was wrong.

Your uni should have done some paperwork when you 'suspended your studies' which notifies LEAs and SLC that you're taking some time out.

Can you get hold of the students union or anyone from your department? They maybe able to point you the right way.

I'dring up the place in Darlington, or your LEA even if your paperwork goes to Darlington, they should be able to help even if they only tell you what to do.
    if you failed and have had extenuating circumstances and have evidence of it, you will need to send it to your lea and inform them you are repeating the year. there shouldn't be any problem with your fees / loan. problems only occur if you have no good reason why you failed.