Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

national insurance number

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my friend told me i will automaticlly get sent my national insurance number 6 months b4 i turn 16, is this true?

and can i start working as soon as i recieve it or will i have to wait until i'm actually 16?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In theory you get it a bit before your 16th birthday. Except for me I never got anything. Eventually I phoned up, and eventually they sent me a letter with it on, but I still don't have a card. I'm 17 and they still haven't managed to do it!
    I got my NI number about 3 months b4 my 16th b/day & so did most of my mates.

It depends on where u want 2 get a job as 2 whether they let u work there b4 ur 16 or not.
    yeah around 3 months before ure 16th. some places will take u on, others wont. it depends on the job and whether it has a high risk etc or not
    Your Ni isn't really important in findign a job. It;s just a tax thing-so you won't need it at your age! But you don't need it if you get cash in hand. Oh try restaurants. You can get jobs there not v well paid but TIPS!!!