Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Has Boris got a chance ??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well bonking Boris has thrown his hat into the ring to be London Mayor.

Full Story

Just wondering if people would vote for him (regardless if you live in London) and if he really stands a chance?

I do like Boris, purely for the comedy factor. He is a bit of fresh air amongst politicains, but I wouldnt vote for him. I wouldnt really trust him to look after London. I would be quite happy to see Ken stay on as London mayor.

Anybody else think Boris stands a chance, or would you vote for him, especially those who live in London.

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Boris for Mayor...

If he decided to stage a coup and crown himself Emperor I'd be rooting for him ;)
  • Options
    hmm i don't think he really stands a chance, most londoners are happy enough with ken and i can't see what boris brings to the table apart from tabloid scandals? nice enough guy but i wouldn't vote him, he comes across as the sort of person who doesn't know what day of the week it is, not somebody you want running the capital.
  • Options
    Do you really want this man leading us towards the Olympics?

:nervous:
  • Options
    I'm not sure why the Conservatives were so obsessed with having a 'big name' candidate. Livingstone wouldn't be that hard to beat, if we presume a good chunk of UKIP supporters would have otherwise voted Conservative last time Norris could have been very close to winning. Livingstone has brought enormous council tax rises and there's little evidence of there being any significant improvements on public transport. Unsurprisingly the cheaper option of clogging up the roads with more buses has been taken whilst neglecting the tube... although to be fair that's not really all Livingstone's fault, this present government like previous ones won't properly invest in the tube (and crossrail...will any of us be still alive when that's finally running?!)

Boris might have made a few blunders but none as serious as those Livingstone has made. Livingstone after all thinks it's acceptable to cosy up to homophobic Islamic clerics that support suicide bombing, wife-beating and the persecution of gay people. Livingstone also didn't seem to think there anything offensive in comparing the Tiananmen Square massacre to the poll tax riots. And he doesn't seem to have any problem sucking up to corrupt media suppressing dictators.
  • Options
    Do you really want this man leading us towards the Olympics?

:nervous:

:yes:
  • Options
    I dont think i would trust him to run London. I dont know if voters would prefer him to Ken. Alot of people on BBC news message boards are saying "Anyone but Ken" but what has Ken done wrong policy wise? He has been elected twice now? Maybe three? Sure he has made as many media gaffes as Boris.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I dont think i would trust him to run London. I dont know if voters would prefer him to Ken. Alot of people on BBC news message boards are saying "Anyone but Ken" but what has Ken done wrong policy wise? He has been elected twice now? Maybe three? Sure he has made as many media gaffes as Boris.

Your thinking along the same lines as myself. I like Boris but wouldnt put him in charge of a cake stand let alone the city of London. :D

I no longer live in London, but I dont think Ken has done much wrong, infact in many ways London is a better place.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Well it is the only city in the UK he hasn't managed to piss off.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why the Conservatives were so obsessed with having a 'big name' candidate. Livingstone wouldn't be that hard to beat, if we presume a good chunk of UKIP supporters would have otherwise voted Conservative last time Norris could have been very close to winning. Livingstone has brought enormous council tax rises and there's little evidence of there being any significant improvements on public transport. Unsurprisingly the cheaper option of clogging up the roads with more buses has been taken whilst neglecting the tube... although to be fair that's not really all Livingstone's fault, this present government like previous ones won't properly invest in the tube (and crossrail...will any of us be still alive when that's finally running?!)

Boris might have made a few blunders but none as serious as those Livingstone has made. Livingstone after all thinks it's acceptable to cosy up to homophobic Islamic clerics that support suicide bombing, wife-beating and the persecution of gay people. Livingstone also didn't seem to think there anything offensive in comparing the Tiananmen Square massacre to the poll tax riots. And he doesn't seem to have any problem sucking up to corrupt media suppressing dictators.
    As a Londonder I get the feeling most people who actually live in London are fairly satisifed with the overall job he's done.

In fact I find the immense majority of those who are the most fierce critics of Livingstone don't live in London at all, but are simply angry they're now being charged (and rightly so) for bringing their two-ton metal machines right into the centre of busiest city in Europe.

And by the way, buses and general road traffic have improved during Livingstone's mandate. Massively so.
  • Options
    I met him last week, he came into my office and said he used to sit where I sit now.

What are his policies for London?
  • Options
    Who, Boris? I don't think he himself even knows... :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    As a Londonder I get the feeling most people who actually live in London are fairly satisifed with the overall job he's done.

I don't - I know hardly anyone who's satisfied with him. With a credible challenger he'll be in trouble...
  • Options
    Really? I can honestly say the opposite. Perhaps I only hang on with lefties though... :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Perhaps I only hang on with lefties though... :D

The trouble is, so do I ;)
  • Options
    Most people I know feel apart from Congestion Charge and pigeons Ken hasn't done anything (and not all of them are fans of the Congestion charge). Our taxes have gone up, with no real improvement in transport if you live outside the centre of London.

And support for the Olympics isn't riding at all time high at the moment
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I hope not, as much as I like the chap, I bet he'd destroy Ken's work in seconds, which would be a terrible waste.
  • Options
    I would happily vote for Boris Johnson. Anyone who doesn't like Scousers, and who's more than happy to offend the people of Merseyside, gets my vote. :p