Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

mosque email

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(recieved this email this morning!)

Don't know if you have heard about this but Ken Livingstone is apparently planning to use tax payer's money to build an enormous mosque costing an estimated £100M in the docklands.
Wouldn't it be better to spend the money on a new hospital or improved transport facilities? Anything but such a scheme as this:

The mosque will be BIGGER THAN ST PAUL'S!!!
The plan is for the mosque to be so big so that people flying in from all over the world for the 2012 Olympics will see it as the biggest landmark in London, bigger than St. Paul's, Westminster Abbey or Wembley Stadium.
The vote so far is 56 % in favour.
It looks like the Muslim community in the UK is casting its vote in droves, and as usual the British are burying their heads in the sand...
It is an undemocratic use of British Tax payers money, especially when our Churches that are 100's of years old get no government funding to keep their structures standing, and we are supposedly a Christian Nation.

To vote to "Scrap the 'Mega-Mosque" please sign the official Government petition in the link below.

*Link removed as story is untrue

Please, after voting, forward this to as many people as you can.

Comments

• Options
    What a load of BNP-induced bollocks that email is...
  • Options
    It looks like the Muslim community in the UK is casting its vote in droves, and as usual the British are burying their heads in the sand...

Well you learn something new all the time- didn't know being muslim and being british were mutually exclusive

Anyway, its bollocks.
    http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/news.php?slug=Mayor-Attacks-Mosque-Email-Campaign&article_id=634
  • Options
    It's a complete lie. Tax payer's money is not going to be used for anything of the sort.

Don't believe the hype, people.
  • Options
    I got this posted onto my yahoo group yesterday - loada spam!
  • Options
    Yep, I remember this the last time round (probably the same link). It's a privately funded project on privately owned land, so they should be able to waste their money on whatever ridiculous building they want. Nice to see all these "caring" religions would rather spend their money on a fancy building to pray to a non-existant God than, I dunno, actually helping people though, isn't it?
    We the Christian population of this great country England would like the proposed plan to build a Mega Mosque in East London Scrapped. This will only cause terrible violence and suffering and more money should go into the NHS.
    That about says it all. I thought these petitions went through a screening process? They should be asking for anything so deliberately misleading as that to be re-written, because even though it doesn't directly say it, it is obviously suggested that government money is going into this project.
  • Options
    Yep, I remember this the last time round (probably the same link). It's a privately funded project on privately owned land, so they should be able to waste their money on whatever ridiculous building they want. Nice to see all these "caring" religions would rather spend their money on a fancy building to pray to a non-existant God than, I dunno, actually helping people though, isn't it?

That about says it all. I thought these petitions went through a screening process? They should be asking for anything so deliberately misleading as that to be re-written, because even though it doesn't directly say it, it is obviously suggested that government money is going into this project.
    Did you read the last few replies?
  • Options
    (Completely off topic, but I fucking love your avatar Doofay :D )
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    Did you read the last few replies?

I did.
  • Options
    Thats shocking. The lengths people go to in order to stir up hate. :mad:

"The mosque will be BIGGER THAN ST PAUL'S!!!"

Are people so stupid to beleive that?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    It's a complete lie. Tax payer's money is not going to be used for anything of the sort.

Don't believe the hype, people.

Yeah. I would have felt pretty uneasy about tax payers' money going to build religious buildings.
  • Options
    Apparently it's now being used directly by the BNP, despite it being a complete and utter lie. I'm fucking shocked the Evening Standard is allowed to base whole news stories on lies.

Here's the full statement from Ken

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/statement_170707.jsp
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Apparently it's now being used directly by the BNP, despite it being a complete and utter lie. I'm fucking shocked the Evening Standard is allowed to base whole news stories on lies.

Why not? Everyone else is...
  • Options
    Why not? Everyone else is...

The Sun newspaper especially !
  • Options
    It's just that difference between an exaggerated, badly heard or bollocks story that you can play around with and then just a staggeringly obviously untrue story based only on creating hate - I know everyone does it but this time it just felt horribily obvious that that's the only reason for this.

Bastards...
  • Options
    I'm sorry to say this as it is likely to derail the thread permanently, but this is exactly what you get when you allow subhuman scum like the BNP the right to free speech.

If you throw enough mud some of it invariably sticks around.
  • Options
    Its obviously not getting funded by the tax payer, but there are (if I remember right) some concerns as to where the money for it is coming. Am I right in remembering that its Saudi money and the mosque is going to be Wahabist? - which I know full well I havent spelt right.
  • Options
    What's the concern? That someone is building a religious building with their own money? If we have a freedom of religion we should have a freedom to privately build buildings to support it.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    What's the concern? That someone is building a religious building with their own money? If we have a freedom of religion we should have a freedom to privately build buildings to support it.

Just that that sect of Islam is quite hard line, and isnt what you would describe as inclusive and open. Not that thats a reason to ban them, or stop the construction of the mosque, but to get charitable status arent places supposed to show how they are going to be used/open to the whole community?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Just that that sect of Islam is quite hard line, and isnt what you would describe as inclusive and open. Not that thats a reason to ban them, or stop the construction of the mosque, but to get charitable status arent places supposed to show how they are going to be used/open to the whole community?

If I am understanding what your saying rightly then I agree. If they were building a Mosque it wouldn't be something the majority of the population could benefit from. It would just be a place for Muslims to pray.
  • Options
    If I am understanding what your saying rightly then I agree. If they were building a Mosque it wouldn't be something the majority of the population could benefit from. It would just be a place for Muslims to pray.

I have absolutely no problem with a mosque being built there, my concerns would be the same if it was a hardline sect of any religion.
  • Options
    my concerns would be the same if it was a hardline sect of any religion.

Like the Scientologist £30 million office in the City of London :p
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

Exactly, I'm far from happy that they get charitable status.
  • Options

I thought that they'd been refused?

ETA: they were
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say this as it is likely to derail the thread permanently, but this is exactly what you get when you allow subhuman scum like the BNP the right to free speech.

Must. Resist. Urge.

Oh buggerit. And your response is exactly what you get when you allow freedom of speech.
  • Options
    I thought that they'd been refused?

ETA: they were

Excellent.
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options
    I got invited to some film screening there for free on Monday. Oh yes, I AM awesome. Ha.
  • Options

they virtually no rent for that place as well (to the city of london), so it's subisidised effectively

nothing wrong iwth mosques being built, it just comes from a very dodgy organisation with rather dodgy connections, which is my concern

and aladdin, without that freedom of speech, their rants about minorities controlling the country become more accepted by regular people and we can correct them
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Franki wrote: »
    I got invited to some film screening there for free on Monday. Oh yes, I AM awesome. Ha.

Thay'll kill ya dog, don't go!

Scientology. Gah... I hate those cunts. Wait, I hate all organised religion! Oh well!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Thay'll kill ya dog, don't go!

Scientology. Gah... I hate those cunts. Wait, I hate all organised religion! Oh well!
    I gave it to Rich's friend and he threw it away I think :p.

(Btw, has Mr. Andrew talked to you yet?)