Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Promising film maker gets 12 months for supply of Ecstasy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just thought I'd bring this up as it does not appear to have made it into the online press as yet;

An 18 year-old man has just been given a 12 month custodial sentence for possession of 80 pills in the Earth nightclub in Southampton. The court accepted his defence that, instead of buying drinks for friends with his birthday money, he was giving out pills at cost price.

They found 30 on him in the club, and 50 more in his car.

My opinion: to be honest a sober assessment might have concluded that this wasn't exactly a Mr. big conviction, and thus would have imposed a suspended sentence which would have been sufficient for a first offence.

Its a bit of cautionary tale too, regarding how the Police and CPS will sometimes see supply cases, especially at a time when for most users pills seem mean very little in terms of danger or legal considerations.

I would also say that he was bloody naieve to be carrying that much around in a place where he was going to be attracting such attention to himself. But i still maintain that this custodial sentence is not in the public interest.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He had 80 friends?
    He will only serve six months, more than likely.
    When I went back to an afterparty I got talking to a really nice guy who hadn't long been out of prison after serving a 12month sentence for posession of 100 pills. I felt sorry for the guy, it sounded like it as a really horribe experience.
    yes but unfortunately how many people do you know take on per session? four beans each for twenty people?
    Film maker?

Does that matter? At all?
    Fuck that's harsh, I know a guy who only got a suspended sentence for carrying 90 odd pills.

What's the most amount of pills people here have seen? I've seen about 1,000 before.
    katchika wrote: »
    He had 80 friends?
    He will only serve six months, more than likely.

Still tho - 6months inside for 80 garys - gotta be gutted.
    thats nasty. he's gotta be gutted... 80 pills and a year inside... is really OTT esp. as it was his first offense, i mean wtf?!
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Fuck that's harsh, I know a guy who only got a suspended sentence for carrying 90 odd pills.

What's the most amount of pills people here have seen? I've seen about 1,000 before.

15,000 in a plastic bag, back in the old days ;)
    Film maker?

Does that matter? At all?

well yes it does, because the courts took that into account as evidence of character and conduct. Whether or not you think this should have been done is a separate issue.
    Or 20 beans each for 4 people, its easily done and a lot of people I know would have them gone between 3 people but thats not everyone

well quite, but I was being conservativ because that level of dosage is utterly pointless, you may just as well burn the bloody things.
    It seems really harsh doing a year for 80 pills I've had a few batches and I've bought that much for personal use before as well. Someone I knows looking at 5 years after gettin caught with a 100 with a previous for drugs. Is it really worth selling in clubs? No way.
    Uprising wrote: »
    Is it really worth selling in clubs? No way.

Given the rock bottom prices for pills these days vs. the potential jail time I'm mystified as to why anyone deals it.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    budda wrote: »
    Given the rock bottom prices for pills these days vs. the potential jail time I'm mystified as to why anyone deals it.

Rock bottom prices outside clubs though. You can sell pills in clubs for 3 or 4 quid and make over 400% profit. On a good night you can make a decent weeks wage.

Still the penalty for getting caught is too steep.
    Weekender Offender 

I spoke to a young man a little while ago, who's on something of a gangsta ego trip. Knew him when he was about 12, and he's changed quite a bit. I asked him a bit about why he wanted to deal (coke, pills and weed mainly) and he said that he gets a buzz walking around carrying.

Its not just about a rational choice economy; its also about social capital (i.e: who you know) and cultural capital (i.e:what you know and what you can do with it). There is an empowerment, and a status that comes with the territory, and also the issue of power that comes with moving in unscrupulous circles.

At the lower and of the chain, and particularly with the younger contingent, I would suggest that this forms a considerable part of what shapes their behaviour.
    Skive wrote: »
    Rock bottom prices outside clubs though. You can sell pills in clubs for 3 or 4 quid and make over 400% profit. On a good night you can make a decent weeks wage.

Still the penalty for getting caught is too steep.

I suppose so, still as you say its not much money for potentially a lot of time inside.
    I spoke to a young man a little while ago, who's on something of a gangsta ego trip. Knew him when he was about 12, and he's changed quite a bit. I asked him a bit about why he wanted to deal (coke, pills and weed mainly) and he said that he gets a buzz walking around carrying.

Its not just about a rational choice economy; its also about social capital (i.e: who you know) and cultural capital (i.e:what you know and what you can do with it). There is an empowerment, and a status that comes with the territory, and also the issue of power that comes with moving in unscrupulous circles.

At the lower and of the chain, and particularly with the younger contingent, I would suggest that this forms a considerable part of what shapes their behaviour.

I think that is very true, I used to know people who dealt quite a bit just to fund their nights out, which is a bit mad when you think about it rationally.
    this is why you only keep a small amount on you at any time if you decide to sell in a club

this is where a girlfriends bra comes in useful ;)

i can easily see why people do it.. like skive said they go for 3/4 quid a touch easily and even more at some events ..

either way its quite harsh .. ive a mate whos going away here for 2 years .. he was caught with a stupid amount of diazepam on top of other things
    Read in the paper the other day that a young guy has just got 12months for carrying 42 pills. They caught him at the train station on the way to a night out. It seems like sentences differ quite a bit. Apparently the police were "really shocked considering his profession" - a fitness instructor.
    Seems a bit harsh, i knew a lad who got caught with cash, cocaine and 200 pills and got a suspened sentence because it was his first offence, his car also got confiscated and sold and the money given to drug charities.

Most i've seen was about 2000.
    lipsy wrote: »
    Read in the paper the other day that a young guy has just got 12months for carrying 42 pills. They caught him at the train station on the way to a night out. It seems like sentences differ quite a bit. Apparently the police were "really shocked considering his profession" - a fitness instructor.

Seems really harsh. 42 pills could quite easily be for personal use for him and three mates.
    Lol to be honest he sounds like an idiot. I'd bang him up just for his stupidity.
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Seems really harsh. 42 pills could quite easily be for personal use for him and three mates.

Theres no such thing as personal for you and your mates, thats dealing, stupid really but thats the way it is.
    budda wrote: »
    Theres no such thing as personal for you and your mates, thats dealing, stupid really but thats the way it is.

Yeh I Know.

i just mean most people will have picked up for their mates and themselves at the same time (all chuck in £20, that sorta thing).

Shame.
    Seems a bit harsh, i knew a lad who got caught with cash, cocaine and 200 pills and got a suspened sentence because it was his first offence, his car also got confiscated and sold and the money given to drug charities.

fuck me was he supplying the sentencing judge?
    fuck me was he supplying the sentencing judge?

He was 19 and hadn't been in trouble before, there wasn't much cocaine, only couple of grams.

Dunno what happened,just musta been a lenitent judge..i tell you he celebrated that night after the court case.
    Shogun wrote: »

Dunno what happened,just musta been a lenitent judge..i tell you he celebrated that night after the court case.

did he get off his wack?!:p
    Shogun wrote: »

pills n coke session ye ? lol :lol: