Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Standing up for yourself at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I started at this company at the begining of the year. I work in a small department of just two people, now the other person has left and im worried whats going to happen to my job. I get the feeling they are either going to want me to do the other persons job as well as my own (which i dont want to do, thats not why i joined the company) or they are gona make me just do their work and put what i do on hold even though they really like what i do.

Now im not getting paid two peoples wages and was told when i joined i wouldnt have to do the other persons work, thats what they are there for. Now what do i do, because im pretty sure they are going to want me to do the other persons work. Do i just say no, im not doing it? How do i stand up for myself in this situation as i dont want to do that job and im not being paid to do that type of job either.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends on your job description (if you have a formal job description). If it's not part of your job, then it puts you in a strong negotiating position for a raise. Any new responsibilities should get you extra money really. Presumably if you already have a job, you don't have enough time to do someone elses as well. That's the only argument you need really. But taking on a couple of new responsibilities for extra money would definitely reflect well on you. Best thing you can do is to write down a schedule, of everything you do, when you usually do it, and how long it takes. That'll show your boss that you genuinely can't fit any more work in, and that if they want you to do it, they'll have to find time (and money) for you.
    One has to be prepared to be very assertive at work sometimes. If I am being given extra responsibilities to the extent I've got far too much to do, I tend to protest loudly about it.

To put a practical context to this, Wednesday tends to be my busiest day at work. The exact reason is commercially confidential, so I can't reveal it. However, it means I have extra duties that day. Nothing annoys me more than when the guys come to me, asking me to sort out this and that for them when my hands are already full. I usually fob them off with the line "I'll do it later". Eventually, they can't be arsed to wait any longer and do it themselves anyway.

If you cannot fit any more into your working day, your boss needs to know about it pronto.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The exact reason is commercially confidential, so I can't reveal it.

What a disappointment.
    JsT wrote: »
    What a disappointment.

probably giro day.

i know my mates bookies is far busier on giro day
    I think it is really important to make a stand for yourself at work... recently I caused a bit of a hoohah as I am about to make a move from an office based role into a field based role and although I understand the need for flexibility I will also not be pushed into a corner!

I have to go to the US on training and they changed the dates which were in my diary - I have an immovable family commitment on the last day of the training and I made them aware that if they wanted me on that training course, I would have to leave a day early. Major panic ensued at the thought of letting me do that, they eventually spoke to the US about it who had absolutely no problem with me going a day early... typical!

Admittedly I did rock the boat a little more when I realised the first day of the training is also the August Bank Holiday and wanted to know if I was entitled to this day back as it is a national holiday...

One of my bosses once said... 'start as you mean to go on and then at least they can't chuck it back in your face in the future!'

So... my advice is, monitor the situation, if you start to notice a big increase in your workload then say something... if you don't they have no reason to think anything is wrong and will keep heaping it up!

Good luck :)
    koe_182 wrote: »
    probably giro day.
    Eh? :confused:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    It was fairly obvious.

yeah as jst said, simple.

the day a load of scrotes get their giro's and go piss it up the wall on the bandits, like they do in bookies and local pubs.