Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Feelings about drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay picture the scene : you what, fourtyish? married and got a few kids and they are teenagers. you are tidyed ''Jonathan'''s room say and you stumble across a secret drug stash ...

even though most of us (on these boards any way) do drugs NOW how do you reckon you would feel about your kids doing them ?

cos i always use to be like, yeah il let my kids do whatever the fuck they want and experiment but recenetly when my little sister expressed a bit of interest in coke i went mad ! i know thats incrediably hypocritical seeing as i love the stuff but i didn't like the idea of her doing it and started banging out all the risks and shit. i think its because i feel more motherly towards her than sisterly.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it would depend how old they are really. I definatly wouldnt allow them to do drugs while at school, college i wud be a bit iffy about but once they get old enuff to understand the risks its upto them really init
    If your kids are going to do drugs, they're going to do drugs. Being constantly on their case about it isn't going to stop them, it's just going to make them hide it from you better.

I'd be pissed off if I caught my kids with drugs, but I'd like to think I'd be rational and level headed about it. That way I get to monitor their drug use since they won't be hiding it from me, and I'll be able to tell straight away if there's a problem. I can also advise them if it's clear they don't know what they're doing so as to stop them doing serious damage to themselves.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    As long as they're not doing them at some stupidly young age and as long as they could talk to me about it then I wouldn't have a problem.
    Weekender Offender 
    Heavy use of any intoxicant while a teenager is a seriously bad idea, but as others have said trying to stop them is difficult.

I hope I would talk to them rationally about it, stating the realistic risks that come with drug use at that age and hoping that they would at least use things infrequently.

I'd also be more concerned about the reasons for using a lot (if they were) than the drug use itself.
    id still warn them off drugs at a young age....but if i found them with a stash id talk about it rationally and just make sure they dont get into anything heavy...
    For me it would depend on what type of person they were and if they were doing them for the right reasons - ie because they wanted to and not peer pressure.

I'd be fairly relaxed with pills and most hallucinogenic drugs as long as they were properly clued up especially about doseage etc.

I'd be worried if cocaine became anything more than the odd few lines at parties etc as i know how easily it can. But i'd see little point in 'banning' it as that would add fuel to the fire id guees.

Ah i dunno, thank god i aint got any kids!
    okay picture the scene : you what, fourtyish? married and got a few kids and they are teenagers. you are tidyed ''Jonathan'''s room say and you stumble across a secret drug stash ...

even though most of us (on these boards any way) do drugs NOW how do you reckon you would feel about your kids doing them ?

cos i always use to be like, yeah il let my kids do whatever the fuck they want and experiment but recenetly when my little sister expressed a bit of interest in coke i went mad ! i know thats incrediably hypocritical seeing as i love the stuff but i didn't like the idea of her doing it and started banging out all the risks and shit. i think its because i feel more motherly towards her than sisterly.
    Depends what the drugs are really. But then I'd bring my kids up with the real facts of drugs anyway. If they are gona do it they they are gona do it, I'd rather them be educated about it properly and try to get them to wait 'til they have finished school before they have even tried them.
    Skive wrote: »
    As long as they're not doing them at some stupidly young age and as long as they could talk to me about it then I wouldn't have a problem.

i reckon i'd be the same :yes:
    I wouldn't have a problem with them smoking weed, taking mushrooms or E occasionally so long as they were doing well at school.
    Spliffie wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a problem with them smoking weed, taking mushrooms or E occasionally so long as they were doing well at school.

really ?

i dont know i guess i wouldnt mind them doing drugs occasionally as long as i knew they were aware of everything. it wouldnt really be the side effects of drugs i would worry about but whats associated with them. like i wouldnt want them to get japed out of money or beaten up and stuff over it.
    It would be hypocritical and naive of me to get angry at my kids for taking drugs and thinking that I could stop them.
    As long as it wasn't from a very young age and they were sensible about it, I wouldn't mind them smoking weed, taking E's, speed, shrooms or K.
    I would encourage them to talk to me about their drug experiences and curiosities, so that I could advise and inform from my own experiences rather than get angry.
    I would be worried about Cocaine, only because, as DC85 said, I know what it can do to people from first hand experience. It would be hypocritical of me to get angry about them telling me that they had tried it a few times because that's expected. It's about growing up and trying new things. However, I would strongly advise that they do keep it to the odd one or two lines every few months, and even then I'd be worried.
    really ?

i dont know i guess i wouldnt mind them doing drugs occasionally as long as i knew they were aware of everything. it wouldnt really be the side effects of drugs i would worry about but whats associated with them. like i wouldnt want them to get japed out of money or beaten up and stuff over it.

Well, as you don't go to crackheads or random people on the street looking for drugs there isn't much risk of getting beaten up or robbed.
    If my son/daughter was taking drugs under 16 I would go barrrrmmmmyy. OK it might not do any good to the situation but I wouldn't be able to help being mad. Its all good and well you all saying you would be calm and rational and talk through it and accept it but wait till its "your little princess who was only born yesterday" whos out there high! I couldn't contain my madness and upsetness that they had felt they needed to turn to drugs; that is of course depending on why they took them in the first place.

I dont suppose it is easy to "imagine" this situation, its one of those which you can't really guess how you will react, until it happens.
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    If my son/daughter was taking drugs under 16 I would go barrrrmmmmyy. OK it might not do any good to the situation but I wouldn't be able to help being mad. Its all good and well you all saying you would be calm and rational and talk through it and accept it but wait till its "your little princess who was only born yesterday" whos out there high! I couldn't contain my madness and upsetness that they had felt they needed to turn to drugs; that is of course depending on why they took them in the first place.

I dont suppose it is easy to "imagine" this situation, its one of those which you can't really guess how you will react, until it happens.

Would you react the same if they were drinking underage too?

I'd much rather my child smoke the odd joint than having to be carried home pissed every Friday or Saturday night. It all depends on the situation really, I'm not saying I'd be happy if my children took drugs but I could certainly understand why and would want them to do it as safely as possible.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Would you react the same if they were drinking underage too?

I'd much rather my child smoke the odd joint than having to be carried home pissed every Friday or Saturday night. It all depends on the situation really, I'm not saying I'd be happy if my children took drugs but I could certainly understand why and would want them to do it as safely as possible.

I think it is that the drugs are illegal, if they are 14, 24 or 64. If my daughter/son was getting pissed every saturday night age 16 then they are just drinking underage, doing what will be legal for them to do in a couple of years. Yet the drugs will never be legal. I'm not sure if that makes sense!

Either way If I had a child who was going to drink underage, have sex underage or take illegal drugs I would much rather they do it under my roof where I would be there if something went wrong rather than out and about. Can't stop someone doing something if they want to; think we have all experienced that first hand eh.
    I think it is that the drugs are illegal, if they are 14, 24 or 64. If my daughter/son was getting pissed every saturday night age 16 then they are just drinking underage, doing what will be legal for them to do in a couple of years. Yet the drugs will never be legal. I'm not sure if that makes sense!

It does but that's the problem with drug laws. Just because a drug is legal, doesn't make it safe. And just because a drug is illegal, it doesn't mean you're going to end up stealing to feed your habit or all the other bullshit you hear about drugs.
    Either way If I had a child who was going to drink underage, have sex underage or take illegal drugs I would much rather they do it under my roof where I would be there if something went wrong rather than out and about. Can't stop someone doing something if they want to; think we have all experienced that first hand eh.

Yep, well I think 16 is the right age to let kids go out on their own and do these things.