Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

copying... but different

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
In a class, every week we write a response to 2 articles. The following week we write an essay about one of the articles.

Now last week I wrote a response, this I did my essay.

However, as I was reading the other essays (as we must, its an online course and we reply to them) I realized that one girl's essay is almost word for word of my last week's response.

I say almost, as she did add a couple sentences herself, besides that, it is word for word, copy/paste of what I wrote.

Now for a moment I felt special. My writing sucks and I hate it and I know it sucks... but then I realized I really hate it and it takes alot of work for me to do!

Now the teacher, although she reads/responds to everything, there are 28 different responses to read and 14 different essays to read. So the likelyhood of her remembering something is probably slim. SHould I do something about this? Or just sit and feel smug that I suck less enough that somebody wanted to do that :p
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends, do you like this person? ;)

Would you get into trouble if the teacher does notice that they are the same? If so then you probably have little choice than to protect yourself by saying something.

if not then it really comes down to whether you want to let someone copy, and how sure you are.
    I don't even know the person. Its just an online course, have never even seen them. And I don't think I really need to worry about protecting myself, after all, I pants in a bunch thinking about how hard I have to work on such a stupid then then somebody goes and does that. Ah I'm probably overreactnig though. Writing is just really tough for me :p

Yeah, the prof has made comments on the papers and from the looks of it she has no idea that its the same piece of work.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    It is up to you. It may be for the best. I would be pissed off if someone copied my work. Perhaps this is what she has been doing all year? If that is the case, then she doesnt deserve to pass. As harsh and cruel as that sounds!

But hey, I have just passed my course, so I can say what the bloody hell I like!
    I did actually check the previous week's work and it wasn't similar, but I didn't see if it was similar to anybody elses. (Copying off the class tard :p) I know that if caught plagerising, they can not only fail you in the class, but kick you out of school... and not accept you back. Which probably wouldn't happen as its not a big paper or anything and she didn't plagerise off a real article or anything.

But I want to be a lawyer so I should be all over this one, I don't know why I feel such conflicting views. :\ I know its nothign important, but at the same time I worked real hard.

And yes, you rock so you can say whatever you want :D :yippe:
    I'd say something, if you are both called up about it the girl could quite easily say you copied her which would cause problems.

If you mention it to your teacher at least she will know it was her who copied you. Plus she doesn't deserve the credit for your work, it'd do her a favour anyway, she can't go through life doing that, she needs to think for herself.
    Thanks dudes and dudettes. How does this sound

Hi Karen,
    When I was reading this weeks essays I noticed that one was very familiar. I looked back and realized it was nearly word for word of my response to the articles last week. As I find writing very difficult, even responses, I was a little taken back when I read it. I wasn't sure how I should be going about the situation so I just thought I would let you know.
    Thanks
    My_name
    That sounds perfectly fine :) I think you just need to take out the so, before i was a little taken a back.

ETA: You just have!
    Thanks alot :D
    it depends on u. I rthink u have 2 write it urself if u can ... or take it somewhere... But not use oters notes.