Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jobs on CV

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When you send off a CV to a company, do you put the majority of the jobs you've had or just the relevant ones?

As a graduate, I've had random summer jobs which are all pretty different. I seem to remember the careers centre telling us to put the relevant employment first then the other employment, but if you haven't really done much relevant work then this is a bit hard!

For example, if I was applying for a job in marketing, then would it be a waste of time putting my most recent employment as a teaching assistant or a care worker if that's what it was? Generally most of my jobs have been administration work, but I've done a variety of things.

Just looking for some advice really...thanks :)

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Your supposed to put all your work history really I think, and explain any gaps in employment too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd put down all the jobs you have done - if they are like proper jobs - i.e. working in an office - being a teaching assistant etc etc.

I'd only not include a job if its really not in anyway relevant - for example when I was 15 I handed out leaflets for my friends dad one summer - so I don't really bother to put that down - for jobs I apply to now - but when I was at university I would do and then make what I had done more exciting and show how you developed your skills. So for example i was standing on a street corner so oftne people would come up and ask me random questions so that demonstrated I could be polite and curteous and also able to think outside the box (sometimes people even asked me in different languageds as well).

If your a graduate i'd put down all of your experience - it looks good that you've been able to find jobs during the summer holidays - particually if these have been office based as these are often hard to get. It also shows that your used to working and are able to manage your own time etc etc.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I have always been told my CV should be no longer than 2 pages, and therefore if you have loads of jobs, it may not be appropriate to mention them all.
    If you still want to include them to show your experience, you could have a smaller section entitled Skills, for instance, and then write the skills in there.
    However, as Wyetry said, you need only really use the jobs you have had that are relelvant to the jobs you are going for.

You should write the CV in a way to emphasise the skills you have for the employment you are wanting to go into. e.g. Working in a supermarket - interacting with clients, informing them of offers, helping them find products - going for a job in customer service. Dealing with money, cashing up at the end of a shift, ensuring customers recieved refunds when entitled - going for a job in a bank.
    I got told to just include the 3 most recent ones.
    You should write the CV in a way to emphasise the skills you have for the employment you are wanting to go into. e.g. Working in a supermarket - interacting with clients, informing them of offers, helping them find products - going for a job in customer service. Dealing with money, cashing up at the end of a shift, ensuring customers recieved refunds when entitled - going for a job in a bank.

This is what I got told to do as well.
    I had shitloads of jobs while I was at school/college/uni. I just lump them all together in one, along the lines of 'temp - various roles and locations'. No one wants to read through them all, but it can be handy to see the experience you've had and the skills you've gained.
    I only did the last 3, and then only the "proper" ones. Unless you're applying for a bar job, don't put in that you worked in a bar briefly, it's irrelevant except if they ask what customer experience you have.