Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Telephone interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a 40min telephone interview this week and was just wondering if anyone knew what I should expect.

This is the first proper job I have applied for since leaving university. Realistically, I don't think I will get the job (they're only looking for one person) however it's good practice for me.

A while ago someone posted a list of the types of questions likely to be asked in interviews (such as talk about a situation when ........etc) but I can't seem to find it!

Has anyone had a telephone interview before? I'm assuming it's similar to a normal one, but as I said, I haven't had much experiene. Do they start off talking about things on your CV or why you want the job, or could it be in any order?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I had one last week for Michael Page - a recruitment place I wasnt interesting in working for! :p

She asked me scenario questions - what would you do if this happened...
    Also, when have you questions - when have you failed but managed to push yourself...
    Then went through the job spec, what I though the job would involve, who my clients would be etc and then asked what I thought of cold calling (this was my cracking point and decided I definately didnt want the job).

I would say it was less formal than a normal interview. She was nice enough, but I practically argued with her, and she still asked me to go for the second round!

What kind of job is it for?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    never had a phone interview but some questions to think about might be:
    - why you want the job
    - what you think the job involves
    - what skills and qualities you could bring to it (i've been asked before what my bad qualities are too) oh, and when you talk about this, try to inlcude examples - so if you can you're good at working in a team, tell them about an event/work exp that proves you can.
    - a time when you've shown leadership skills
    - a time when you've put others before yourself
    - they'll probably ask you to explain your work experience etc in more detail too
    - they might also ask you some questions about the company to see if you've researched it at all

thats all i can think of for now!
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I had one last week for Michael Page - a recruitment place I wasnt interesting in working for! :p

I think I applied for one job with them months ago, and I'm still to this day getting annoying texts and emails off them and it's driving me round the bend.

Anyway, phone interviews are great fun. Just blether a lot of shite that they want to hear and you'll be fine.
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Anyway, phone interviews are great fun. Just blether a lot of shite that they want to hear and you'll be fine.

lol yeah that's more or less the key to any interview.......more important than any preparation is to believe you will get the job as it will help to boost your confidence during the interview, forget about your lack of experience and what other candidates might be out there, realistically if you don't think you will get it then chances are you won't, so think positive and good luck.
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    I have a 40min telephone interview this week and was just wondering if anyone knew what I should expect.

expect the same as you would in a face to face interview
    I`ve heard of such job. My friend does it. But she`s gonna 2 look 4 other job- coz of salary.