Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Please help the dumb american!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't know if any of y'all will know the answer to this but I was wondering if I'm allowed to work in the UK...
I'm here from the States on an exchange for the year and after my Christmas trip (I'm going on a tour of Europe for my break) I'm pretty much going to be broke... oops.... oh well, it will be worth it!
But do I have to get a special work permit or since I have a visa to be here for a year am I ok?

Comments

• Options
    dunno really. ur best off asking the Home Office, or maybe the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. what u will find tho, is that the UK is less restrictive than the US in terms of letting ppl stay/work here - just look at r asylum mess! if they say no, then just do it anyway - no-one will stop u!
  • Options
    I could be wrong here...

But when I was in the UK I got different types of stamp-y things in my passport. The first said I had leave to remain in the UK for a period of 3 months and not work.

The second gave a date that my residency expired and said that I was allowed to work while the last just said I had leave to remain in the UK for an indefinite period. So, yeah. They normally make it pretty clear if they don't want you to work (I really could have answered with just that, couldn't I?)

But, if you still have any doubts, look at
    http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/
    'cause being deported isn't fun. Trust me.
  • Options
    okay. I'm really really bored. Taken from the home office site's online leaflet on Studying in the UK - http://194.203.40.90/default.asp?pageID=107

Am I allowed to work?

You may take part-time or holiday work but you must not:

*work for more than 20 hours a week during term time, unless your work placement is part of your studies and your education institution agrees;

*do business, be self-employed or provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer; or

*work full time in a permanent job
  • Options
    You will find it a lot easier working in the food industry, this is Macdonalds,wimpy,burger king or even happy eater!!