Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Peace Activists found not guilty on criminal damage charges

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Regardless of the ethics involved, they were still comitting a criminal offence, they admitted as much and still got let off.
  • Options
    Morality and legality are separate issues, and not always interchangeable.

Absolutely and courts are not there to judge the morality of issues (which is disputable), but legality
  • Options
    Absolutely and courts are not there to judge the morality of issues (which is disputable), but legality

Indeed;
    The two men intended to damage the planes by clogging their engines, as well as sabotaging the runway, the jury at Bristol Crown Court was told.

Prosecutor Peter Blair QC said the two had expected to be arrested and prosecuted and had made preparations for being sent to prison.

When caught by Ministry of Defence police they had coloured liquid and bags of nails and staples to use in the sabotage plan, the court heard.

Defending, Edward Rees said they carried out their protest because they believed the planes were being prepared to bomb Iraq indiscriminately with uranium and scatter bombs.

It seems like they didn't even defend their actions. Therefore I am inclined to believe that the jury decided they were not guilty on the basis of a moral belief that what they were doing was right.

Anyone can have any moral belief though. Someone who has their wife or husband leave them may think it's justifiable to kill them. Should the jury again go in their favour? 'Yea I killed him but he was an arse'
  • Options

In the immediate sense yes, but then it begs the question 'is the law working?', and does it conform to the norms and values that are functioning in society?

if not then either there needs to be a change in the law, or there needs to be extra space for discretion.
  • Options
    In the immediate sense yes, but then it begs the question 'is the law working?', and does it conform to the norms and values that are functioning in society?

if not then either there needs to be a change in the law, or there needs to be extra space for discretion.

That's for sentencing...

I can't see any justification for the sabotage of military equipment, others can. I'm not sure which one conforms to society's wider view (which I actually think is split) - that's why moral views shouldn't be included in deciding whether the law is broken as it comes down to individual views on morality.
  • Options
    Public opinion is split, largely I would contend, because the extent of the tragedy unfolding in Iraq at the present time isn't being adequately reported relative to the scale of whats happening.
    that's why moral views shouldn't be included in deciding whether the law is broken as it comes down to individual views on morality.

Obviously I agree with that in legal terms, but I'm morally with them on their reasons and conduct.
  • Options
    Public opinion is split, largely I would contend, because the extent of the tragedy unfolding in Iraq at the present time isn't being adequately reported relative to the scale of whats happening.

Isn't it?

Alternatively there's lots of reports of the bad sections, but very little about large parts of the country where there's normalcy 99% of the time.

However, I wasn't speaking about public opinion being split on Iraq (where it seems the majority want a pull out), but on whether you should sabotage military equipment, which potentially put the lives of servicemen at risk (less from crashes as from the fact a broken piece of equipment might be need urgently and can't be used if its lying on a runway being repaired).
  • Options
    but very little about large parts of the country where there's normalcy 99% of the time.

Well as far as I am aware the Kurdish north has missed alot of the fighting, and a few places seem to have missed the worst violence. However, the effect upon the whole nation has been an unmitigated disaster; infrastructure, healthcare, sanitation, economy...whichever way you cut it really.

And to be honestly I don't think its legitimate to suggest that we should focus on 'the good' areas, meaning those that aren't in a state of collapse. Comparatively they were fine before we got there, so we can't really take the credit for normality.
    However, I wasn't speaking about public opinion being split on Iraq (where it seems the majority want a pull out), but on whether you should sabotage military equipment, which potentially put the lives of servicemen at risk (less from crashes as from the fact a broken piece of equipment might be need urgently and can't be used if its lying on a runway being repaired).

I'd go further actually; I'd say that most people might be against such action, the problem is that citizen participation in major foreign policy has taken a holiday, and thats what drives people to this. And lives lost; whose lives? the servicemen not receiving support or the people who may get caught in the crossfire?
  • Options
    What would have happened if they'd succeeded, the plane managed to take over before exploding in mid-air over a city? Or if it crashlanded on a motorway during rushhour?

Or if it just exploded on the runway, sending shrapnel into the cargo bay, maiming hundreds of servicemen who were being sent home?

Would they still have been let off because the cause was "just" i wonder?
  • Options
    Mate, they weren't trying to secretly sabotage it to kill people. They would have let people know what they had done immediately - why do you think they were carrying coloured liquid as well as the nails? It was to clearly mark the engines they had damaged.

It was an act of protest not an attempt to kill anyone.
  • Options
    Jim - still could have had awful consequences in different ways. It was only a stunt, doing it to two planes isn't going to save anybodies lives in Iraq. They've got their 5 minutes of fame from it, but the fact that they walked away from it makes me annoyed because they've very obviously broken the law, and by getting away with it, it undermines the integrity of the law.

I think it is important to have an up to date and relevant legal system so people don't pick and choose which laws they obey. Here either we have a discrepency where the law needs rewriting, or in fact a miscarriage of justice has been carried out because they have broken the law and got away with it.

However, in the time they've got their ublicity, wasting police time, wasting CPS time, legal aid, the jurors time, in fact they really haven't shown any regard for anyone except themselves. So I can't see them as martyrs or heroes but simply cowboys who should have had the book thrown at them for good measure.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Mate, they weren't trying to secretly sabotage it to kill people. They would have let people know what they had done immediately - why do you think they were carrying coloured liquid as well as the nails? It was to clearly mark the engines they had damaged.

It was an act of protest not an attempt to kill anyone.

Which is eaxctly what i'd say I was going to do if I were caught. It's only their word we've got to say their intentions were peaceful.

We've all seen the actions of "protestors" who send hatemail and dig up relatives of workers who experiment on animals, i bet if they're caught with a spade before they've done the deed no doubt they'll have a story ready as well ;)
  • Options
    We've all seen the actions of "protestors" who send hatemail and dig up relatives of workers who experiment on animals, i bet if they're caught with a spade before they've done the deed no doubt they'll have a story ready as well

Not all Muslims who want Sharia law as a form of private ordering are terrorists, and not all people who protest at anything are granny-nicking animal rights hooligans...but you knew that already. Its a silly comparison to draw with no empirical merit.
    Which is exactly what i'd say I was going to do if I were caught. It's only their word we've got to say their intentions were peaceful.

Why would they want to actively sabotage with intent to harm? They're peace campaigners; also this is an established tactic that has been used before in the past, for just this reason.
  • Options
    Not all Muslims who want Sharia law as a form of private ordering are terrorists, and not all people who protest at anything are granny-nicking animal rights hooligans...but you knew that already. Its a silly comparison to draw with no empirical merit.

Why would they want to actively sabotage with intent to harm? They're peace campaigners; also this is an established tactic that has been used before in the past, for just this reason.

It's all conjecture, i'm merely stating that just because they say they are peace activists, who would never harm a fly, doesn't mean we take it on face value.
    I'm sure the guys are harmless, who like Jim says only wanted to disrupt operations, either way we'll never know for sure.
    I brought up the granny-diggers as an anallergy,
  • Options
    Under that logic then you presume them innocent, as is one of the precepts of our system of 'freedom under the rule of law'

ASIDE: Absolutely off topic and nothing to do with anything but... 'anallergy' - i'm not having a dig at spelling (i get things wrong all the time) but I think you might have invented a new word here. 'anal' + 'allergy' - denotes someone allergic to trivial or nit-picking posters :lol: . You should patent that.
  • Options
    Under that logic then you presume them innocent, as is one of the precepts of our system of 'freedom under the rule of law'

Sorry, i'm an idiot, please explain :confused:
    I'm not presuming them innocent at all, merely stating what could have possibly been the result of them carrying out their plans, and that what they said in court (we only intended to disable the plane, not to kill) could in fact be a load of bollocks.

ASIDE: Absolutely off topic and nothing to do with anything but... 'anallergy' - i'm not having a dig at spelling (i get things wrong all the time) but I think you might have invented a new word here. 'anal' + 'allergy' - denotes someone allergic to trivial or nit-picking posters :lol: . You should patent that.

lol
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/6277954.stm

To follow up this story, it looks like some others have been found guilty.

I assume it's a different jury, but it looks like with this one the 'justified' defence didn't work.

That said I'm little confused why there were charged with conspiracy, whereas later in the story it said they did £10k worth of damage. I laways thought conspiracy was that you were planning an offence, but failed to carry it through