Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Holidays

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Didn't know whether to stick this in here or law, and also not sure why I didn't ask on here sooner.

Boyfriend works for Tesco, has done for almost a year I think, on a part time basis, 12 hours pw, recently going up to about 30. We (myself, mum and dad) are going on holiday on the 18th July, and he is coming with us. He notified Tesco that he would like the time off months ago (I think it was end of January/start of February) and they have consistently refused.

He has arranged cover for most of it (still looking for the rest) and offered to take it unpaid, but they are still refusing. Where can we go from here? He has to give a weeks notice, and whilst we're looking for other jobs for him (he's going back to college in September) I doubt we could turn it around quickly enough.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have they gave him a reason as to why he can't have it off? Tesco are normally pretty flexible, he should be entitled to equivalent of 4 and half weeks off paid holiday, so if he works 2 days a week thats 9 days or if he works 5 then it's 22 or 23 i can't remember.
    Has he spoke to the personel manager, they are normally pretty accomodating, but i would say i personally wouldn't have booked the holiday untill i knew i had the time off, or if it was booked before he joined, Tesco honour holidays booked so i don't know what the reasons are for refusing it, does your boyfriend actually know?
    The employer can choose when he takes his holiday, but he is entitled to the pro rata equivalent of 20 days paid holiday per year, and the employer have to allow him to take it.

The law is on their side, unfortunately, but I can't understand why they're being like that. It must just be one manager who's a bit of a prat.
    just pull a sickie, I would.
    It was Dad that booked the holiday, not us, so there wasn't a lot of choice surrounding that.

I just don't understand why they are being so shit about it, as far as I know they haven't given a reason.

I think pulling a sickie would get him fired (his manager warned the team leader to keep an eye on him over it!), and his parents won't let him go at all unless he has another job to come back to.
    I work for Tesco myself depending what department you are on if it like checkouts for the summer holidays to guarantee that you get the time off they book it the june/july before its very stupid. and for finding people to do your shift there is no problem with that as they aint paying 2 employees at once, also they might kick up a fuss about if you cant do it and find any one to do it write a letter and take it unpaid as there is many other staff willing to do overtime and they dont need to pay you, just stick to ur grounds a write a letter hope that helps all he might get is a warning about taking time off prob best not to ring in sick because he asked people to cover his shift hope this helps.:)