Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Info on journalism, anyone?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm particularly interested in breaking into journalism (TV and radio) but have not idea what to do about it when it comes to looking for a good uni.
I will be starting my A-levels in September and will be doing a wide range of them. in total I should end up with about 4 AS's and 2 A-levels which will hopefully get me into a good uni.
Thing is - what do I study at uni? English Language, literature, creative writing, or is there an actual journalism course to do?
Gosh - I'm gettin' dizzy!
If anyone could give me any info on it it would be much appreciated.
Thanks Peeps...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Might be able to help you here. Get some work experience on your local paper, write for the school magazine, or start a school magazine if you have to. Then you can do a degree in journalism, or you can take a degree in english, creative writing etc and then take a postgraduate course in journalism. Your school careers officer should be able to give you some more help on this. Good luck!

Karla
    Site journalist
    Thanks Karla. I've been looking at a prospectus from the School of Journalism, media and cultural studies which is part of Cardiff Uni. I've already done some experience on a local paper. As for the school mag - we don't have one, but I think I'll talk to the teachers about that when I go back.
    Cheers.
    What kind of journalist do you want to be? Somebody who goes out and just collects and collates facts from breaking news (is this investigative journialism?), or somebody who writes opinionates articles or what? Personally, if I had to be a journalist I'd be a critic - food, cars or travel all suit my taste :-)