Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

university pre-arrival reading list

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just been sent it, and it's just as well I've got about 3 months off because I'm going to need it to read all of these!

Where's the best place to buy uni books from? By definition of being a student I'm skint, so second hand is fine. I only really know of Amazon, is that the best place?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    yeah amazon is the place me and my uni mates go to to get books.

might be worth bearing in mind that you might not need tor ead it all, we got given loads of books on a reading list, but no-one read them and it was never questioned whether or not we had read them :s plus books are so expensive you should ring up your department and ask for a couple of crucial readings you ahve to do, and just get thsoe books else you'll spend a fortune!
  • Options
    Just been sent it, and it's just as well I've got about 3 months off because I'm going to need it to read all of these!

Where's the best place to buy uni books from? By definition of being a student I'm skint, so second hand is fine. I only really know of Amazon, is that the best place?

Phone the uni and ask about second-hand book sales. If you buy them all new (even from Amazon) you'll end up spending a fortune and they could be books you hardly ever read.

You should check them out in the library before you go buying them new or second hand. They might not be worth it.
  • Options
    Phone the uni and ask about second-hand book sales. If you buy them all new (even from Amazon) you'll end up spending a fortune and they could be books you hardly ever read.

You should check them out in the library before you go buying them new or second hand. They might not be worth it.

:yes:

Or find out if there is a book shop attached to the uni, at my uni we had a bookshop on site and they would buy your books back from you when you had finished with them for about a third of the price which isnt too bad.

I ended up selling all of my books to a girl I knew who was starting the same course a few years after me.
  • Options
    get them out a library. you're skint and from a library is free and only a small charge if you've gotta order them. other than that amazon marketplace is always a good bet.
  • Options
    definately don't buy all brand new books, can get them off amazon or ebay etc...also in my department in uni students that have finished put up lists with there old books for sale and u can pick up some bargains....

most ppl i no don't do all the background reading but the ppl that got firsts did, so if u want to start as u mean to go on, i'd def read some of the list....
  • Options
    Phone the uni and ask about second-hand book sales.

Absolutely. It may be wise to wait until you get there because you can not only purchase cheap second hand books but learn first hand as to what books are priority. I didn't just run out and spend £300 on books but I did buy books that I didn't necessarily need yet they existed on the reading list because of similarities on courses.

HTH.
    Steve