Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cosmetic Surgery

2»

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You can have surgery, with all the risks, and have something "fixed". But isn't the real problem one of self esteem?
    Exactly. Or vanity, as the "have look younger / not look old" opinions show.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Amira wrote: »
    I used to watch Dr 90210 and there was one girl who got lypo and they showed her op, turns out the Dr uses a big huge metal rod looking thing to break up all the fat under the skin....then it drains out.

Then when the girl woke up, first thing she did was ask for food to take the painkillers and then the DR said to her, "if you feel like you've just been beaten up....then i've done my job properly".

That put me off it.

Ah I love that show. I saw that episode, they had the same woman on again, about a year later it had to be. I felt bad for her, I guess she got alot of rap for asking for food, right after lipo, but as you said it was just for the painkillers :(

Dr Rey is such a dork and how annoying is his wife. She threatened to leave him if he visited his dying father? Bla
  • Options
    Exactly. Or vanity, as the "have look younger / not look old" opinions show.

I'm not vain.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Isn't cosmetic surgery seen as a quick fix too?

I mean for things like lipo/weight loss especially - wouldn't a change in diet and a gym membership be better long term?

Not necessarily.

There are some areas of fat that no amount of dieting or exercise will get rid of :(
  • Options
    Right, I've yet to find a lovehandle machine at the gym that I can actually feel it working :p
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    But what do you consider to be this 'no amount of time'

I'm not having a go but I know loads of people that go to the gym for a week, say it doesn't work (which it won't after just a week) and then give up. Likewise for diet etc

Well, the summer before last FOR EXAMPLE, I was cycling 16 miles PER DAY for 4 months and that didn't get rid of the spots I wanted to be gone. I mean, 16 miles a day, alot of it was uphill!

Also, all throughout my 2nd year, I went to the gym 4-5 times a week and I'd spend at least an hour and a half there each time doing various exercises and do it at a harder level each time. It didn't get rid of the spots I wanted gone despite doing particular exercises which were supposed to help.
  • Options
    Oh, my diet when I was cycling 16 miles a day was mixed. Rather healthy overall though. Same as when I was at Uni. It was probably my drinking (which was usually followed by a takeaway) that let me down though
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I would like my nose done and I had my ears pinned back, so I wouldnt say no. But obviously money and pain are HUGE factors!
  • Options
    Not necessarily.

There are some areas of fat that no amount of dieting or exercise will get rid of :(

I agree with this. My body's rubbish and never even seems to want to shift a pound.
  • Options
    might have lypo if i got really fat
  • Options
    In an ideal world I would like my nose done but I would never actually go through with it and get it done when it came down to the crunch. I've just learnt to be reasonably happy with myself and just make the best of what I've got

My brother broke his nose a few months ago and just had to have surgery on it and that's put me off for life! I've never seen anything like he was in such a state. Couldn't eat or open his eyes
  • Options
    Well, the summer before last FOR EXAMPLE, I was cycling 16 miles PER DAY for 4 months and that didn't get rid of the spots I wanted to be gone. I mean, 16 miles a day, alot of it was uphill!

Also, all throughout my 2nd year, I went to the gym 4-5 times a week and I'd spend at least an hour and a half there each time doing various exercises and do it at a harder level each time. It didn't get rid of the spots I wanted gone despite doing particular exercises which were supposed to help.

low level exercise like a brisk walk burns fat

hard exercise is more for cardio

Maybe you worked too hard?

Also many people say you need to build muscles to burn fat.

http://www.swvoice.com/home/ViewPost/11969
  • Options
    I'm not vain.
    If you think aging is a bad thing and would make sure you always look young even when you're not, and/or you'd lie about your age (say a lesser number), then I say you are.
  • Options
    Personally, I would not have plastic surgery. I think there are far more important things in life.

Although if I had a really big nose or sticky out ears I may feel differently.

Stacey, rather than spending thousands on plastic surgery, I would recommend getting a personal trainer.
  • Options
    If you think aging is a bad thing and would make sure you always look young even when you're not, and/or you'd lie about your age (say a lesser number), then I say you are.

But where have I said that?
  • Options
    But where have I said that?
    I didn't find any place that you had either. I just said that people who do that are vain, and you said "I'm not vain". I took that as a defensive stance because you did it :p
  • Options
    yes, when ive had another baby bf is gonna get the snip and im gonna get a boob uplift :yes:
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    low level exercise like a brisk walk burns fat

hard exercise is more for cardio

Maybe you worked too hard?

Also many people say you need to build muscles to burn fat.

http://www.swvoice.com/home/ViewPost/11969

Generally, high intensity exercise or periodisation of sorts is more effective at burning fat than low intensity. Building muscle will also have more of an impact than cardio alone.

80-90% of fat loss however, will be down to diet. The problem/solution depending on how you look at it.