Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Burning car crashes in Glasgow Airport.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Both of which happened after the WTC attacks...

It's an easy thing to point to and I have no doubt that it has helped recruitment but the agenda runs much deeper than that.

You have to ask if Iraq/Afghanistan is really enough, on it's own, to motivate someone to carry out these kind of attacks or whether there it's a case of straw/camel's back...

When you're dealing with these religious fruit-cakes it doesn't take much at all for them to justify strapping on a bomb and exploding themselves in the nearest crowded place. Danish cartoons anyone? Salman Rushdie? It's astonishing how quickly they can erect effigies to burn! :D
  • Options
    amazing (not) how the media have jumped onto this one, let's face it if AQ was behind this we really don't have much to worry about....more people are probably injured in domestic ethnic conflict as a result of the perceived threat of terrorism, as opposed to the actual threat. truth is you were far more likely to get killed by the IRA back in the day than any half-arsed attempt at a petrol bomb car, lucky for us these guys are amateurs.
  • Options
    truth is you were far more likely to get killed by the IRA back in the day than any half-arsed attempt at a petrol bomb car, lucky for us these guys are amateurs.

Depends who you were, as an English civilian I'd say you're much more at risk by Islamic terrorism than the IRA

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/cgi-bin/tab2.pl

from 1969-2001 the IRA killed 69 civilians in mainland Britain. Islamic terrorists managed to kill 52 people in one day.

Also we used military force to crush the IRA (or at least push them to negotiate) including the SAS ambushing terrorists, the Prevention of Terrorism act, judges sitting without jury, internement and letting Bobby Sands et al starve themselves to death. Now personally as a Northern Irishman I've no problem with fighting fire with fire. They're are people Iwho are alive today because we were prepared to play big boys rules. But let's not pretend we beat the IRA by touchy-feely understanding their pain, but by ruthless compromise of civil liberties of some to protect the right to life of others... (and sometimes the right to life of soldiers and peelers was given away to protect the civil rights of others)
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I think they must be related too as I noticed that both the cars in London and the Jeep were both carrying "Patio Gas" in green cylinders. Observation is the key. This might also mean that the Jeep and the cars started off in the same location where they were both loaded with the same gas purchased from the same source. Personaly I don't think using gas is the best way to cause maximum damage - I seemt o remember from school that gas is only really explosive when mixed with the right ammount of oxygen in the correct ratio?

It does make me wonder, it this accident has given them some ideas.
  • Options
    Depends who you were, as an English civilian I'd say you're much more at risk by Islamic terrorism than the IRA

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/cgi-bin/tab2.pl

from 1969-2001 the IRA killed 69 civilians in mainland Britain. Islamic terrorists managed to kill 52 people in one day.

Also we used military force to crush the IRA (or at least push them to negotiate) including the SAS ambushing terrorists, the Prevention of Terrorism act, judges sitting without jury, internement and letting Bobby Sands et al starve themselves to death. Now personally as a Northern Irishman I've no problem with fighting fire with fire. They're are people Iwho are alive today because we were prepared to play big boys rules. But let's not pretend we beat the IRA by touchy-feely understanding their pain, but by ruthless compromise of civil liberties of some to protect the right to life of others... (and sometimes the right to life of soldiers and peelers was given away to protect the civil rights of others)

hmm i meant UK as a whole but i suppose if you take out NI the IRA wasn't that big a threat, still the frequency of attacks was far higher than any islamic threat we face today, warrington, bishopsgate, canary wharf, manchester, omagh, etc etc all just in the 90s......i'm not saying we should be touchy feely with terrorists but civil liberties were not 'ruthlessly compromised' for most of us then relative to recent legislation.
  • Options
    According to BBCi, U.S. Intelligence sources had gathered information that a terrorist attack was being planned on Glasgow airport. Thanks for letting us know :rolleyes:
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    According to BBCi, U.S. Intelligence sources had gathered information that a terrorist attack was being planned on Glasgow airport. Thanks for letting us know :rolleyes:

Maybe they did, just too late?
  • Options
    According to the Guardian one of the would be Glasgow bombers was born in Aylesbury. The "Lovely" places reputation will increase further now, thats two terrorists... and race relations have never been fantastic there...