Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I Lie

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im having trouble finding a temporary job for over the summer. Ive have got an interview at a bar later which could be successful, should i lie though and say im available full time in order to get the job

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    when are you actually available?

From experience, pubs are keen to work employ people for the summer if you can do about 4 days a week/ 25hours that should be enough. Even better if your available for weekends/ other busy times
    I can do all day everyday my worry is that if they ask me how long im available for, should i say that im going back to uni at the end of the summer or should i lie and say ill be there for a long time
    Actively lying is never good, but I wouldn't say you are only looking for a summer job.

If they ask useful phrases is 'I've finished uni for the year/time being'.
    I'm pretty much in the same situation but have just been a lazy cnut so far and havent really made much of an effort to get work..out of interest though, if i was to get an interview for bar work, would should i wear to the interview - all the other jobs ive gone for have been like office jobs or other jobs where i would be wearing a shirt and tie anyway...might look a bit strange though if its somewhere all the staff just wear jeans & t-shirt or something..?
    icey, my advice to you would be dress smart casual, as that you would be wearing on the job. At our pub people turn up to interviews dressed in shoes, black trousers and a shirt, which mimics our work uniform. Bosses ive met tend to be fairly strict about appearnace at work in pubs, so you want to make a good impression.

As for the term time situation, keep fairly quiet on your plans to move away from work in September.

BUT, I would make of point of being a student, you, as a student are the type of person who can work long shifts, (well in theory, but we all know how lazy students can be,) flexible to work on call, educated, and the boss will be licking their lips at the prospect of you being around for the busy christmas period.
    i know what you mean about lack of summer jobs im completely whoring myself out and having no luck whatsoever.
    Im definatly considering it. Its not a fib saying that i have finished my degree and i just want some money... but i do have a postgrad course lined up. Its just so hard to find temporary work...and this will be office stuff.
    i know what you mean about lack of summer jobs im completely whoring myself out and having no luck whatsoever.

Me too :( its a bit depressing
    icey wrote: »
    I'm pretty much in the same situation but have just been a lazy cnut so far and havent really made much of an effort to get work..out of interest though, if i was to get an interview for bar work, would should i wear to the interview - all the other jobs ive gone for have been like office jobs or other jobs where i would be wearing a shirt and tie anyway...might look a bit strange though if its somewhere all the staff just wear jeans & t-shirt or something..?

I had that t'other day, just go smartish.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Go for the job, make no indication that you'll be leaving after the summer. When it comes time to go, hand in your resignation saying you've found other employment. IT's not completely honest but it really isn't all that bad.
    Weekender Offender