Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is it fair?

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Here ya go guys - this is for my_name so let's help her out :thumb:

Hello. I am writing a paper on fair trade. I am conducting a survey about the availability and cost differences of fair trade and people's buying habits. Since fair trade is a much more popular in the UK and other European countries I thought this place would be a nice oppertunity to get feedback from real live British folk and compare that to the stores around here. First are a couple questions about you're grocery stores, the next are about your buying habits.

Think of one grocery store for the following questions:

Name?

Is it a fair trade grocery store? (Are most to all products fair trade)

Are fair trade products easy to locate? Is there a complete section of the store designated to them, or are the products mixed in with other like products?

Are they easily identifiable? (In-store advertising, large labels, etc)

In general, is there a large, moderate or small price difference between fair trade and non?

Now for the consumer questions:

Do you conciously buy fair trade products?

How often?

Would you be more inclined to buy them if there was little to no price difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Name? Tesco

Is it a fair trade grocery store? (Are most to all products fair trade) No

Are fair trade products easy to locate? Is there a complete section of the store designated to them, or are the products mixed in with other like products?
    There is a really small section of fair trade products next to the home baking bit for some reason.

yeah because they all have the fair trade sign on them and they are all together

In general, is there a large, moderate or small price difference between fair trade and non?
    I think there's a moderate price difference.

Do you conciously buy fair trade products? No

How often? Sometimes fair trade bananas but that is about it

Would you be more inclined to buy them if there was little to no price difference?
    Yeah, I think there is this assumption that fair trade is for wealthy people who can afford to be choosy.
    Name?

Sainsburys

No

They are usually not hard to find in store.

Yes

Moderate

Do you consciously buy fair trade products?

Sometimes

How often?

Less than once a month

If the price difference was smaller, I would be more inclined to buy more FairTrade goods.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Name?

Sainsburys

No

There's a complete section, but I usually buy online, so it doesn't really apply.

Yes, the have the mark on them

Moderate

Yes - chocolate, various fruit and veg

How often?

Every few weeks

Yes
    Name?

Tesco

No

I don't know where they are, so no.

If I knew where they were, I would be able to identify them easily.

Moderate

Yes.

How often?

As often as I go shopping.

Yes
    Thank you guys so very very very much! Means alot :D
    And thank you for putting it up, Helen, I say you get a raise ;)
    *bump*
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Name? ASDA

Is it a fair trade grocery store? (Are most to all products fair trade)? Some.

Are fair trade products easy to locate? Is there a complete section of the store designated to them, or are the products mixed in with other like products? Both!

Are they easily identifiable? (In-store advertising, large labels, etc) Loads of ads for them

In general, is there a large, moderate or small price difference between fair trade and non? Large!

Do you conciously buy fair trade products? No

How often? Never

Would you be more inclined to buy them if there was little to no price difference? Probably!
    The whole concept of 'fair trade' is a farce, the fact that you have to have a special label to prove you didnt horribly exploit the people and place where the product came from is tragic in the extreme.

Anyway, on with the questions

Name?

- Waitrose or Sainsburys

- No, not specifically, though Waitrose is generally good to its suppliers

- Yes, though I normally shop online because I hate driving

- Yes, although it depends what you mean by 'fair trade' bananas from the Windward Islands for example are always bought for a fair price, whether they have a label or not. So sometimes I will go for things like that which I know are fairly traded but not technically 'fair trade'.

- A moderate one

- It depends, I do avoid certain countries because of ethical concerns, and I do buy organic fair trade coffee among other items.

How often?

- I probably buy one fair trade item a week, sometimes more

- Yes, although taste of course is the highest concern really (well within reason)
    My town is now a fair trade town, how bizzare is that?
    What do you mean?
    Here you go my_name - fairtrade towns :)
    Oh wow, I hadn't seen that before, that will be a nice piece to add. Thank you!

If anybody is curious, this is what I came up with from stores around here. My parents went to one in a small rural town. They had a couple things. They were all located in a "natural" section of the store. Only coffee and tea. They had the same brand in non fair trade in the main part of the store. The fair trade was a couple dollars more for a few ounces less.

In the chicago suburbs, 2 of the 5 stores I went to had nothing. One is a major grocery store, the other was a fresh foods mart that specializes in fresh fruits and vegis. One of the grocery stores that had it was the "expensive" one. I'm sure you all have that one store that everything is more expensive than any other store. Well that store had a couple things. Just a couple coffee's and a couple tea's. I've yet to find any fruits/vegis or chocolate even. The other two that had them are what the boyfriend calls "hippy stores." They had a slightly larger selection, but still limited to just the coffee and tea. And on average, most of the items were a couple dollars more expensive.