Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

UCAS points and jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm filling in a job application which is asking for my number of UCAS points.
How do I find this out?! Is it purely based on A-level grades? I've looked at the tariff calculator thing on the UCAS website...it says 120 points for an A etc.. so I'm assuming I just add this up.
Then it goes on to mention points for music grades etc..are these included?
I've lost my results papers/certificates from GCSE / A-level which might actually say the number of points, so I'm not quite sure if I'm getting this right.

Anyone know how it works? I guess if I just add up points for my 3 A-levels and 1 AS-level, it adds up to 410 points...does that sound about right?!
Cheers guys
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I don't think your A-Level certificats say how many points you have. The following information might be of some use to you:

AS level:
    A=60 points
    B=50 points
    C=40 points
    D=30 Points
    E=20 points

A Level 6 unit award:
    A=120 points
    B=100 points
    C=80 points
    D=60 points
    E=40 points

A Level Double Award:
    AA= 240 points
    AB=220 points
    BB=200 points
    BC=180 points
    CC=160 points
    CD=140 points
    DD=120 points
    DE=100 points
    EE=80 points
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote: »

Anyone know how it works? I guess if I just add up points for my 3 A-levels and 1 AS-level, it adds up to 410 points...does that sound about right?!
    Cheers guys

That sounds about right to me. You just add up the points that each grade is worth. I don't think you need your certificates for it as they don't say the number of points, just as long as you're certain what grades you got. That's the points system above, but there's loads of information about it at UCAS.com.

As for the music points bit, is it a music related job? I have no music qualifications, so I'm not sure, but there may be a different point scoring system for those.
  • Options
    If the employer knows a thing or two they will specify they want your UCAS points just from 3 A-Levels, excluding General Studies. Otherwise someone can rack up a ton of UCAS points if they got lots of substandard A2/AS grades, Key Skills (if that still exists), music certificates (think that is only in Scotland?) etc.
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    I'm filling in a job application which is asking for my number of UCAS points.
    How do I find this out?! Is it purely based on A-level grades? I've looked at the tariff calculator thing on the UCAS website...it says 120 points for an A etc.. so I'm assuming I just add this up.
    Then it goes on to mention points for music grades etc..are these included?
    I've lost my results papers/certificates from GCSE / A-level which might actually say the number of points, so I'm not quite sure if I'm getting this right.

Cheers guys

Generally it's only from the 3 a-levels that employers count. You should also find your certificates because sometimes an employer will want proof of them.
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »
    If the employer knows a thing or two they will specify they want your UCAS points just from 3 A-Levels, excluding General Studies. Otherwise someone can rack up a ton of UCAS points if they got lots of substandard A2/AS grades, Key Skills (if that still exists), music certificates (think that is only in Scotland?) etc.

Why not General Studies? And do Key Skills actually have UCAS points? I'm sure on the UCAS website it just gave you levels that a certain uni would prefer you to have.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Why not General Studies? And do Key Skills actually have UCAS points? I'm sure on the UCAS website it just gave you levels that a certain uni would prefer you to have.

General Studies is no longer classed as a proper subject that shows a students true abilities and few places will accept it, including universities.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    General Studies is no longer classed as a proper subject that shows a students true abilities and few places will accept it, including universities.

Yet we still got made to take the AS in it during year 13 with very few exceptions.
  • Options
    Yep...daft aint it. But it was going out as being a subject that was allowed to be classed in UCAS points 8 years ago when I first applied to uni as well.
  • Options
    Ah man, tthat sucks big sweaty donkey balls. What job is this, that they want you UCAS points for?

good luck with it anyway

x
  • Options
    I don't think excluding General Studies as a "proper" A-Level is that daft as it is nothing whatsoever like other A-Levels in terms of the amount of work you have to put in - if you have good general knowledge you can turn up and get an A. It's definitely worth doing if you're good at it just for CV purposes - 4As sounds better than 3As for not much more work.
  • Options
    Jomery I think everyone is agreeing with you that having to do GS as a subject is daft because no decent university cares.

And it's definately true to say that you can turn up with no work and get As...I got full marks on every paper in year 12 and turned up to 3 lessons. Bad, bad subject :no:

But on topic...I never heard of an employer asking for UCAS points before? Is it usual?
  • Options
    Jomery I think everyone is agreeing with you that having to do GS as a subject is daft because no decent university cares.
    Like I said it's still good to have on a CV even if no uni cares - once you have a degree you may just state your grades not your subjects so it'll look like you have 4 A-Levels. And even if unis don't officially care it can't exactly hurt to show you're doing 4 A-Levels, or get a good AS grade in it - AAAA is better than AAA, ABBC looks better than ABC, etc.
    But on topic...I never heard of an employer asking for UCAS points before? Is it usual?
    I've seen it lots of times on online application forms for internships and blue chips - they all have the same question asking for UCAS points from a maximum of (your best) 3 A-Levels exc GS. Sometimes in dropdown menu style 360, 340, 320 etc.
  • Options

:nods: Nearly all jobs, looking for people with little or no experience, in fields where qualifications are needed will ask for a certain amount of UCAS points and often this is as well as a specific degree grade.

It annoys me though when they ask, because I did my A-Levels before the whole AS-Level stuff came in and thus was on the old UCAS points scheme, never quite sure if I can just transfer it to the new points system or not.
  • Options
    Cheers for the help guys. Just added up the points for my A-levels, ended up as 420 and the recruitment agency accept people with over 300 so should be ok.