You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

You never buy them.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why is it we have things in our houses/flats/rooms that we never seem to buy but always have ?

For me sellotape, needles, thread, blu-tac, antiseptic to name a few.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    because they last forever and you don't often need them.
    and string. I've never bought string but got some :D
    I don't remember buying string but I have some too, perhaps there's a string fairy?
    wire hangers

and I buy plastic hangers but just dissapear and all thats left is the damn wire hangers.
    our teaspoons seem to have mulitplied every time i open the cutlery drawer :confused:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Warming up? Posts: 16,688
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    our teaspoons seem to have mulitplied every time i open the cutlery drawer :confused:
    When you bought them, did you maybe forget to make sure they were all of the same sex?
    When you bought them, did you maybe forget to make sure they were all of the same sex?

:lol:
  • JsTJsT TheSite Graduate Posts: 18,265 I am one with The Mix
    Salt!
    We buy salt all the time (becaue Ed is going to have a heart attack by 31)

Note pads and post its
  • JsTJsT TheSite Graduate Posts: 18,265 I am one with The Mix
    Damn yanks :p
    Its not all of us (I think/hope?):p (he puts salt on pizza and tacos... and everything, literally :sour: )

I'll add scissors to the list.
  • BunnieBunnie TheSite's sweetie pie Posts: 6,099
    my_name wrote: »
    wire hangers

and I buy plastic hangers but just dissapear and all thats left is the damn wire hangers.

:yes: Thats the same here!
    We buy salt all the time (becaue Ed is going to have a heart attack by 31)

Salt is good on everything, and 31 is a pretty good innings.
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »

mine dissapear, I had 8 matching ones and a ffew randoms in sept '05, now I have none. the big ones have started to die of the same random fate too, though it isn't really random, I think they go missing from lunchboxes.
  • BunnieBunnie TheSite's sweetie pie Posts: 6,099
    katralla wrote: »
    mine dissapear, I had 8 matching ones and a ffew randoms in sept '05, now I have none. the big ones have started to die of the same random fate too, though it isn't really random, I think they go missing from lunchboxes.

Or they go in the bin....I often find myself leaning over the bin ready to chuck it on in there with my yoghurt pot.
    wire hangers

yeah!!! where do wire hangers come from ever? they never give you them in shops...hmmmm
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Or they go in the bin....I often find myself leaning over the bin ready to chuck it on in there with my yoghurt pot.

I always used to throw mine away. Also, I'd put a spoon & a fork in my bag to use for my dinner and by the end of the week, I've ended up with at least 2 spoons and numerous forks.
    Just done a quick look-around and came up with:

Blu-tac
    Post its
    Straws
    Safety pins
    Paper clips
    String
    Garden wire
    Calamine lotion
    Super-glue

Don't have a clue where any of it came from.
    Pens.

For the love of god this house is overrun by pens.
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Pens.

For the love of god this house is overrun by pens.

Ours is as well. For some reason, there always seems to be at least 4 up by my computer as well.:confused:
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Why is it we have things in our houses/flats/rooms that we never seem to buy but always have ?

For me sellotape, needles, thread, blu-tac, antiseptic to name a few.

I have the opposite problem. I'm always buying bloody sellotape and blu-tac, yet i NEVER have any when i need it. Ditto scissors.
    I buy scissors and they vanish, tea spoons vanish into a mystical black hole (and it's not pack lunch or yoghurt related).

I always used to think loo roll came into this category at home, that and long life orange juice, but have recently noticed my dad is incapable of going to a supermarket and coming home again with at least 16 loo rolls and 12 cartons of juice.

AFAIK metal hangers come from dry cleaners, but I don't know when the last time anyone at home got anything dry cleaned was.