Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Chemotherapy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, my dad at the moment is going through chemotherapy. He's on a low dose at the moment, just takes alot of pills throughout the day and you do notice that it takes an effect on him, always tired and quite moody and all that.

Anyway, in a few months he has to go on pretty much the highest dose of chemo and apparently will have to be in the hospital for about a month or so. I think my dad normally keeps the worse of the news away from me and my brother which is quite annoying to say the least but anyway, yeah he says that visiting him maybe quite restricted. Seeing as has to have as little contact as possible with people from the outside etc.

Was just wondering if anyone has had a relative / friend gone through this and what to expect really.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My little brother was only 8 when he got diagnosed with brainal and spinal cancer. He even got paralyzed when they tried to operate. At about 10 years old, he needed to go through intense radiation and chemotherapy. I couldn't be there the whole time with him but the doctors know what they're doing.

As for what to expect.. nothing. You can only be there for your father and keep faith that it works. I did and my brother is now 16 with no cancer at all.
    GoodFella wrote: »
    what to expect really.

its horrible. chemotherapy itself makes you ill. its just horrible. but you have to grin and bear it and hope it works. there are different types of chemotherapy though. but all i'll say is support him as much as you can, because he will really need it.
    One of my mums friends had radiotherpy for her cancer and was very sick on it for several weeks afterwards, but shes been fine for about five/six years if not longer now. Another family friend was very very ill this time last year with bowel cancer and hes still having weekly treatment, although hes now in remission.

All you can do is be there for your dad and the rest of your family.
    I see quite a lot of cancer patients at work. Quite a few of them i know come into one of the wards and stay in for their chemo because the drugs are in iv fluids that go in at a slow rate.One has to be done over 22 hours. But then i see them up and about getting on with things. Its sad to see that they look so ill but often they respond well and are getting better.