Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Healthy cake

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
Is there such a thing as a healthy cake? And what does it taste like? I have to stop eating shit all the time, and so one 'meal' could be healthy for a change :p

If there is such a thing as a nice healthy cake, got any recipes?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could try swapping the sugar that goes into most cakes for honey or something. That would help make it more healthy.

I like Carrot Cake and Nut Cakes. They taste so much better with loads of sugar and icing though :yum::yum:
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    The carrot cake looks good, but the lack of a picture for nut cake isnt filling me with hope.

Have you tried either or anything similar? Is it really noticeable when you are eating it?

Thinking I might just do a normal one! haha!
    Bunnie wrote: »

Have you tried either or anything similar? Is it really noticeable when you are eating it?

Lifes to short, to go around eating healthy cakes. Thats my opinion anyway :D

I have tried cakes made with honey instead of sugar, and you cant really notice much difference. I do like icing etc on cakes though :yes:
    You can substitute applesauce for canola or vegitable or whatever oil you use, and use just egg whites. And use splenda instead of sugar.
    You can make a 'fatless' sponge from eggs, sugar and flour. A lot lighter than ordinary sponge cake.

3oz Sugar
    3oz Self-raising flour, sifted twice.
    3 eggs

Whisk the eggs in a bain Marie for 2 minutes. Add the sugar and whisk until at least double in size and you can leave a ribbon trail in the mixture, about 8 minutes.

Take the bowl off the bain Marie carefully fold in the flour. Divide the mixture between 2 7-8" sponge tins and bake at 180c/Gas 4 for about 20 minutes until golden and set. To test, press the top of the cake, if it springs back it's cooked.

Sandwich together, when cold, with what ever you like.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Take the bowl off the bain Marie carefully fold in the flour.

I havent got my glasses on and I thought that said, carefully fold on the floor...why be careful if it is ending up on the floor I thought!

Does it taste relatively normal?
    It's really nice, but it doesn't last long and goes stale quite quickly unlike an ordinary sponge made with butter/margarine.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    It's really nice, but it doesn't last long and goes stale quite quickly unlike an ordinary sponge made with butter/margarine.

I'm sure that's unlikely to be a problem :yum:

cheers you three! - didnt see your post Manda
    another time it might be worth looking at vegan cake recipes, they're generally lower in fat than ones using eggs and butter etc.(and they can actually taste quite nice)
    a small piece of any cake is healthy cake ;)
    if you start swapping fundamental ingredients... then its not cake
    I remember having Healthy Cakes as the title for my GCSE food coursework. I thought it'd be fun taste testing loads of healthy cakes, but all the one's I made were horrible :yuck: ...though that may just have been my cooking :chin:

Like I think someone has said, you could make Angel Cake, which is without fat and uses beaten egg whites instead. But it's too light and doesn't taste as nice. Could also use sweetener instead of sugar. But I think if you want good cake it's got to be 100% full fat with all added sugar and icing on top :yum: