Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

freeview-help!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi!

I'm having trouble with my freeview box after moving house.
ive set up my tv in my room with an extension from the lounge, and the tv picks up all 5 channels perfectly.
when i plug the aerial into my freeview box and connect it with the tv via scart, and turn the power on, usually it comes up on screen with the freeview menu, but i am just getting a blank screen:confused:

i know the box is working as i was using it with the same kind of set up a couple of days ago. and i know that the area i live in has reception because i have only moved down the road and the box in the lounge has full reception!

any ideas?! ive tried looking on google but it was no help :(

thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    Maybe you need a new ariel or the position of your ariel adjusting.
  • Options
    You'd need to do a new scan of the channels on the freeview box to pick up the channels BUT this shouldn't mean it's totally blank - you should have a menu come up and be able to go into the setting and return / scan for new channels..
  • Options
    mist - the aerial doesnt need adjusting because it picks up the other non freeview channels perfectly fine

DG - yeah, i know i need to scan, but its just coming up with a blank screen :(

any other ideas people?? please!!
  • Options
    clara wrote: »
    mist - the aerial doesnt need adjusting because it picks up the other non freeview channels perfectly fine

Indeed but you may need an upgraded or repositioned one to get digital channels.
  • Options
    how do you upgrade/reposition one when its one that comes from the roof into the building? (sorry if i'm being stupid!)
  • Options
    how do you upgrade/reposition one when its one that comes from the roof into the building? (sorry if i'm being stupid!)

Try everything else first and then pay someone to change it to one suitable for digital reception.
  • Options

Ah but you might be wrong. Point in case. Banbury has 2 transmitters, a main one and a relay. If you tune into the relay you don't get freeview channels.

But if you're just getting a blank screen and no menu that says to me it's nothing to do with the aerial. Are both your scart connectors pushed in fully, no bent pins, all connections secure inside ? Silly question but have you got it on the right channel ? My little tv plays up sometimes. Signals fromt the scart lead are supposed to change the channel automatically but sometimes it doesn't and i have to do it manually.
  • Options
    ahh to be fair I thought she meant it shows a blank screen instead of the channels, didnt see that it gives no options at all.

Need to re-check connections in that case.
  • Options
    all pins etc and scart cable is in fine - it was working 2 days ago!! and what do you mean by tunning the channel?

i have tried tunning it in, then plugging in the box but that doesnt work, and ive tried plugging in the box then tunning it in but that doesnt work either! :confused:

can you explain more about this tunning in the channel business?
  • Options
    if it's totally blank, i.e. no menu's then most likely the box got damaged int he move .. try another box and see if that works
  • Options
    sounds like a scart problem to me, some tvs have you switch over to scart inputs ma ually and some do it automatically.....do you have more than one scart input on the back of your tv? got a dvd player or anything else with a scart lead you could test by plugging that in...?
    aside from that im out of ideas. can only reccomend unplugging everything and starting from scratch, i find that is the solution to the majority of my electrical problems as im forever wiring things up wrong.
  • Options
    i dont think its the scart because i used the same one in the previous house a few days ago and it worked. there is just one scart cable connected - going to the freeview box.

if i re-set it up, do i tune the tv first, set it to any channel then plug in the freeview via the scart?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Is it the same TV you were using before? And how is that thing connected to the TV, what kind of cable?
  • Options
    stupid question, but you sure you've not stuck it in a diff scart socket and its the right AV channel

EG scar 1 = AV1 scart 2 = AV2 etc etc
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Another one: If the box is off, and you turn it on, does the screen change with simply no menu, or does the screen stay the same as if it was off?
  • Options
    i re-set it up and its working fine now:hyper: i'm not sure what was wrong but thanks for all the advice!! xx