Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Which uni...?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jomery wrote: »
    do you honestly think people with Cs and Ds at A-Level would be able to manage it?

:lol: There are all sorts of factors why people don't get good A-Levels. I got BCCCN in mine but was predicted AAAAD (The D being further maths). My reason was purely laziness, I did pretty much no work for my A-Levels and yes it showed, but that isn't to say I couldn't manage a degree at Oxbridge.

My brother got 8 points in his A-Levels on the old system and that was including general studies. However, he was still cut up and an emotional wreck after the death of my dad 2 years earlier. Couldn't claim mitigating circumstances, but was the definate reason why. He also would be quite capable of completing an oxbridge degree.

A-Levels results aren't everything, different teaching methods and environments can also change how well a person does and how they cope with any education.
  • Options
    ...I had to work fucking hard for my degree and I didn't go a red brick uni. I treated my course like a full time job whilst studying for my Law degree...
    I've read about this many a time. I've kept quiet about this until now, but I've always had a certain admiration for the way you rose to the countless challenges you faced at university. No matter what was thrown at you, you seemed able to deal with it. I'm also aware that, despite the difficulties, you had some phenomenal experiences there.

Meantime, we have people like Jomery. Some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth. He was most likely born with a whole cutlery set in there. And the only challenge he has is what to spend that stray £50 note on. I also question how much Jomery enjoys studying there. I sure as hell can't admire that, or the other snobs at Cambridge and Oxford.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    To be honest I do find it a bit naive to assume that Oxbridge provides the same education as other unis.
    Yes, some unis have managed to gain prominence regarding certain fields, yet overall the oxbridge institutions still do their best to uphold their world renowned reputation.

To a certain extent Jomery is right, the name of your institution can carry you a long way. That is not to say it is the be all and end all here in life. And I definitely disagree with his attitude which does not represent class in any way shape or form whatsoever.
    Hi I tried to help you in your communication/diplomacy thread, have a few friends who've done into that fulltime.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I also question how much Jomery enjoys studying there. I sure as hell can't admire that, or the other snobs at Cambridge and Oxford.
    I used my degree to get me a good job. So sue me.
  • Options
    Hmm. I notice that when I commented, "Some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth. He [Jomery] was most likely born with a whole cutlery set in there.", you didn't dispute it. Does that mean I'm right?
  • Options
    Hmm. I notice that when I commented, "Some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth. He [Jomery] was most likely born with a whole cutlery set in there.", you didn't dispute it. Does that mean I'm right?

:lol: he is very careful what he actually replies to...it's only if he can attack a comment that he will.
  • Options

You may well have a good job but had you not gone to Oxbridge, you may well have not adopted the attitude you have done and you may not have so many relationship/confidence issues that you have.

If I was you, I'd rather have gone a shit uni and be happy than rich and lonely to be honest. I'd swap money for happiness anyday.
  • Options
    I've been born/brought up with opportunities other people haven't. If I hadn't had parents who wanted me to be successful and hadn't sent me to a good school I wouldn't have got into Oxbridge or got a good job. I admit all that, but by no means should I feel guilty about it, that's life, not everyone's born equal, some people get more career success, others more notches on their bedpost.

I am properly fucked off at your response in your MMU thread, I am telling you the truth based on a wealth of information out there. You mention furthering your career prospects, I'm telling you E&P at MMU will most likely not be the way to go about that. Given you're 22 and been out of edu for 4yrs you'd most likely be better off getting a job. This is not 'snobbery', this is realistic advice.
  • Options
    If I was you, I'd rather have gone a shit uni and be happy than rich and lonely to be honest. I'd swap money for happiness anyday.
    I've repeatedly said the same thing myself in the relationships thread, I'd rather be a simple person earning £20k and happy in life than my current predicament of being so target-driven, constantly seeking challenges, below-average luck with ladies, and getting stressed out talking to people I don't know on the internet at 2.50am on a Saturday night...
  • Options
    I sure as hell can't admire that, or the other snobs at Cambridge and Oxford.

You can't tar everyone with the same brush like that, when you are so against it being done by Jomery in the first place.
    Oxbridge people I know personally are lovely, none of them arrogant or snobbish. Though I do appericiate that their uni experience is very different than that of most others, as it requires that much extra. You can't deny it. Just be happy about what you have.

Jomery, will check it out. Thanks.
  • Options
    I've been born/brought up with opportunities other people haven't. If I hadn't had parents who wanted me to be successful and hadn't sent me to a good school I wouldn't have got into Oxbridge or got a good job. I admit all that, but by no means should I feel guilty about it, that's life, not everyone's born equal, some people get more career success, others more notches on their bedpost. .

Are you insinuating that those who don't do so well don't have parents who want them to be successful?
  • Options
    and getting stressed out talking to people I don't know on the internet at 2.50am on a Saturday night...

Why are you even on here if you have such a good social life?

If you get stressed on here then surely the simple solution is to just not visit this site?
  • Options
    Are you insinuating that those who don't do so well don't have parents who want them to be successful?
    No, just my parents particularly wanted that of me - this is very similar to how my parents felt: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6238306.stm
  • Options
    If you get stressed on here then surely the simple solution is to just not visit this site?
    Well I try and avoid it but I'm compelled to reply when people say things I don't agree with or have an opinion on..also when I've had issues/questions even though most people have been rude/insulting I don't know any other forums (UK for people my age, ish) which have such an active response rate, if you have any ideas where I should go instead let me know.
  • Options
    I've been born/brought up with opportunities other people haven't. If I hadn't had parents who wanted me to be successful and hadn't sent me to a good school I wouldn't have got into Oxbridge or got a good job. I admit all that, but by no means should I feel guilty about it, that's life, not everyone's born equal, some people get more career success, others more notches on their bedpost.
    Even I know that Cambridge Uni is full of attractive women. Every university is. Going to the MMU open day was like going to a beauty contest. Did you spend three years locked in your room or something? No wonder you've turned out the way you have.

And it's nice to see, in a wayabout kind of way, that you've admitted being born with the cutlery set in your mouth.
    I am properly fucked off at your response in your MMU thread...
    Thank you, I always aim to please. Next...
    I am telling you the truth based on a wealth of information out there. You mention furthering your career prospects, I'm telling you E&P at MMU will most likely not be the way to go about that. Given you're 22 and been out of edu for 4yrs you'd most likely be better off getting a job. This is not 'snobbery', this is realistic advice.
    Realistic advice? Coming from someone who most likely has walls painted with gold in his house. It doesn't leave me brimming with confidence in what you're telling me.
  • Options
    Well I try and avoid it but I'm compelled to reply when people say things I don't agree with or have an opinion on..also when I've had issues/questions even though most people have been rude/insulting I don't know any other forums (UK for people my age, ish) which have such an active response rate, if you have any ideas where I should go instead let me know.

Next time you reply to something, close the browser and never come on the site again. That way, you won't know if someone has replied.

Oh, and google is your friend :yes:
  • Options
    Seriously guys, stop nitpicking at everything he says.
    Yes, I disagree with his general attitude as well, but taking digs at him does not strengthen anyones position.
  • Options
    Realistic advice? Coming from someone who most likely has walls painted with gold in his house. It doesn't leave me brimming with confidence in what you're telling me.
    a) There's plenty of articles like that BBC one showing national research has shown people with arts degrees, particularly at lower-rated unis, are often worse off than those who just began working after A-Levels.
    b) As you said yourself, too many graduates not enough jobs leaves a big hole to fill, people whose prospects haven't been bettered by going to uni, if anything worsened with all the debt vs 3 yrs of pay / experience.
    c) The Sunday Times League Table http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/stug2006/stug2006.pdf says that only 44% of Manchester Met graduates do a job that requires a degree. For arts degrees I'm sure that % is lower. That implies you're most likely better off not doing a degree regarding prospects.
    d) Each university's career dept is obliged to present you info on destinations of past graduates, by subject. It'll have a list of jobs every grad (where known, usually abt 75% of all) by course go after graduating. Worth taking a look at what E&P grads do.
    It's irrelevant this is coming from me when I'm telling you to look at external, credible sources.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Seriously guys, stop nitpicking at everything he says.
    Yes, I disagree with his general attitude as well, but taking digs at him does not strengthen anyones position.

Yeah, it's boring now.