Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'Happy Slap' killers sentenced

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    That some coppers don't understand the law properly is something for everybody to worry about.

I'm a PCSO, not a copper.
    I do know the law, and I know that the "intent" has to be there for murder, you have to forgive me though when I say the whole thing sits very uneasily with me,
    Kermit, I agree with you completely although for an affray you need 3 or more people causing the disturbance, if he'd just fallen over they would probably have got a lenient sentence, although if the stories are true, that this has been ongoing for quite some time the youths involved
    A)Should have been dealt with a lot sooner
    B)Should have this fact used as an aggravating factor, making it more serious than a standard disturbance as they've been harassing the poor bloke for quite some time and have obviously planned their attack.

At the end of the day, manslaughter or not they have taken somebody's life, and destroyed the victim's family's lives, and their own family's lives. Their sentences should have been more, as a punishment and also as an example that this sort of behaviour shouldn't be tolerated.
  • Options
    It's the job of a gaver to undertstand the law. The difference between murder and manslaughter is pretty basic too.

Agreed. They are being paid, and paid well, to uphold the law, after all. If they don't understand the basic difference between murder and manslaughter it makes you wonder what else they don't understand.

People should stop focusing on the death, and focus more on what the kids actually did. They harrassed someone for a short period of time, and then punched him. I'd agree, bullying behaviour should be treated more seriously by the police, but its not- that's a policing problem, not a sentencing problem. The police already have all the weapons they need to deal with bullying and harrassing behaviour, its just that most gavers couldn't give a toss.

Unless you believe that they intended to murder, then they should not be treated as murderers. People have fights, people throw punches, its wrong, but is it enough to imprison someone for life over?

Hands up who hasn't thrown a punch in their life?

For the offence they have received a fair sentence, IMHO, and whilst that's probably no comfort to the dead man's family, justice isn't solely about pandering to the whims of the victim.
  • Options
    That some coppers don't understand the law properly is something for everybody to worry about.

no-one said they dont, they said they could, it was a vision. What I'm saying is, well....be good and you've a lesser chance of hitting it up with the law, even if the cops are harsh. But then it probably isn't as simple as that is it.

fuck me they're really pushing the kick the cig campaign on the tele...
  • Options
    Box wrote: »
    be good and you've a lesser chance of hitting it up with the law.

I'm sure Mr de Menezes would agree 100%.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I'm sure Mr de Menezes would agree 100%.

Well no, he wouldn't would he :yeees: The poor man was an extreme and rare case obviously. If MI5 burst into your living room, to riddle you with bullets, I'll be the first down number ten protesting to Gordon.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Box wrote: »
    The poor man was an extreme and rare case obviously.

Wronful arrest isn't uncommon. I've been arrested after some seriously bad policing before. It's not good.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    No, it's not obvious they meant to casuse serious harm. Fucking hell people, I hope you never have to do jury service

I'd give someone life for that alone. I disagree with people who go about assaulting others - they end up doing THIS.

It's irresponsible. If you intend to harm someone, there is a big risk they may die. It's obvious.

I'd take all these fuckers off the street. Problem solved, no accidental deaths when we only meant to make him disabled or brain damaged for the rest of his life.

People like his are more useful doing forced labour.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    I'd give someone life for that alone. It's irresponsible.

Well thatnk fuck it's not up to you. Life for being irresponsible?
    If you intend to harm someone, there is a big risk they may die. It's obvious.

Throwing a puch does not mean you intend to seriously harm someone or kill them and it really isn't a big risk. So no it's not obvious.
    no accidental deaths when we only meant to make him disabled or brain damaged for the rest of his life.

Where are you getting this from?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well thatnk fuck it's not up to you. Life for being irresponsible?

Throwing a puch does not mean you intend to seriously harm someone or kill them and it really isn't a big risk. So no it's not obvious.

Where are you getting this from?

If you assault someone, how cn you NOT mean to harm them? I am not sure where you got this idea from, tbh.

I think fucking someone up for the rest of thier life is a crime worthy of life too.
  • Options
    If you assault someone, how cn you NOT mean to harm them? I am not sure where you got this idea from, tbh.

There's a difference between attacking someone with intent to kill and intent to harm. Of course you intend to harm, that's why we have crimes such as ABH and GBH.

If you think this is murder and these boys deserve life then you're messed up in the head, I'm not saying I agree with 2 years either btw but the law's the law.
  • Options
    The two children that caused the death of the man in question are absolutely contemptible cunts. I hope they live with the guilt of that man's death everyday for the rest of their lives.

The man suffered a campaign of attacks and harassment until their final fatal attack on him.

This is most likely the actual sentence they'll serve. It's almost too sad for words.
    BBC wrote:
    The eldest boy could be eligible for release on licence in about 10 months, after he was told he would serve 18 months of a three-year sentence minus 250 days already served.

The younger boy will be eligible for release on licence in about eight months, after he was detained for two-and-a-half years and told he would serve at least 15 months minus 233 days already served.

I wouldn't piss on those fuckers if they were on fire.
  • Options
    I hope the guilt drives them to suicide personally.

They are sick fuckers who we don't need on the streets.
  • Options

Just so we're straight on this, you think someone should be jailed FOR LIFE for punching someone?

Really?

Thank fuck you don't run the country, that attitude is so fucked up its not even real. It actually makes my piss boil that someone can be so knuckle-headed, so fucking cuntish, that they think that a 14-year-old boy should be imprisoned for the rest of his life for throwing a punch. The person who thinks that is the real cunt here.

The "campaign of attacks" certainly wasn't as prolonged as the media are trying to imply, but even if it was, the problem is with the police who didn't enforce the laws sooner. ASBOs were invented for a reason, and this is that reason.
  • Options
    When someone assaults someone and commits serious harm, regardless of how many times they are hit, then yes.

I think the punishment with assaulting should reflec how serious the injury to the person was because of that assault.

As such, if someone is killed, even in one hit, then yes. Life.
  • Options

I can't believe you really think this. It's daft.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You cannot possibly think that. You really can't.

Or at least I fucking hope not.
  • Options
    When someone assaults someone and commits serious harm, regardless of how many times they are hit, then yes.

I think the punishment with assaulting should reflec how serious the injury to the person was because of that assault.

Have you never punched anyone?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Have you never punched anyone?

Yes. Didn't kill them though. Plus, I was PROVOKED. Which is a big, big difference to just bullying one man for ages then assaulting and killing him for no reason.

Provokation is a big issue. If there is a reason you attack someone, then not life. If it is for no reason, and they die... well, your fault. Your fault either way, but if there is prior reason to it, that's understandable.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Just so we're straight on this, you think someone should be jailed FOR LIFE for punching someone?

Really?

Thank fuck you don't run the country, that attitude is so fucked up its not even real. It actually makes my piss boil that someone can be so knuckle-headed, so fucking cuntish, that they think that a 14-year-old boy should be imprisoned for the rest of his life for throwing a punch. The person who thinks that is the real cunt here.

The "campaign of attacks" certainly wasn't as prolonged as the media are trying to imply, but even if it was, the problem is with the police who didn't enforce the laws sooner. ASBOs were invented for a reason, and this is that reason.

You really are the most inflamatory poster i've come across on any board, ever. How anything still manages to get debated when you're involved is totally beyond me.
  • Options
    Yes. Didn't kill them though. Plus, I was PROVOKED. Which is a big, big difference to just bullying one man for ages then assaulting and killing him for no reason.

Provokation is a big issue. If there is a reason you attack someone, then not life. If it is for no reason, and they die... well, your fault. Your fault either way, but if there is prior reason to it, that's understandable.

So, you do agree that motive is important, you just can't believe in an accidental consequence?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    So, you do agree that motive is important, you just can't believe in an accidental consequence?

I do, but if they didn't want that risk - DON'T PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Easy decision to make, they had to motivation todo except being nobs.
  • Options
    You really are the most inflamatory poster i've come across on any board, ever.

So's ya ma.
  • Options
    Gerbil, you don't get it, do you? They didn't intend to kill, so why should they be treated as if they had? Yes, it was an unprovoked punch, and they have been sentenced appropriately.

You have punched someone- another day, another time, that punch could have sent them crashing to the floor, making them bash their head on a kerbstone and die. You would have been convicted of manslaughter. Should you have been jailed for life for killing them? Of course not.

So why should these boys (because they are only boys)? Because they're chavs? Because they threw eggs at someone's window? Why?