Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Social work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So does anyone have an insight into what being a social worker is really like?

I've just completed a Psychology degree and social work is something I've always been interested in. I've done a bit of volunteering here and there but really want to know more about the job. I have my reservations because of the whole hatred stigma surrounding social workers, and the fact that people are often resistant to help and you rarely see results. However this hasn't put me off too much.

I would probably want to work in the children and families sector which is where social workers are most needed. It's quite a big committment as I'd have to do another 2 years studying and work placements alongside this.

So really, I'm just seeing if anyone knows more about it or if people have any opinions on being a social worker (Would you do it or never consider it?) Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    Not answering the question but what route are you planning to take to get into social work? I've just finished a psych degree too and am interested in social work but I'm not sure how to go about it!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I dont know much about it to be honest, but CAFCASS could be a good starting point, see if you can get a job with them. They deal with the children and family aspect of things.

http://www.cafcass.gov.uk/english/Recruitment/Vacancies.htm
  • Options
    i'm doing a social work degree at the moment, i've just finished my second year. i've already ahd a four month full time work placement acting as a student social worker.

its hard work, many clients are apprehensive of you, they often dont want your help. they think you're going to take their children away. so you ahve to have very good people skills and be able to work through this, often in difficult circumstances. You ahve to make decisions that often parents/carers etc dont want to hear, or tell them decisions that dont go in their favour. There aren't enough resources, you have too many cases and you're short on time, but at the same time you need to make clients feel valued

But saying all that, it is incredibly rewarding. you do get to meet some great people who are so grateful that you're there to listen and to work with them. you do get the feeling that you're changing peoples lives.

as to what sector to go in, i personally would infd it very difficult to work in a children and families setting, but saying this, that is completely personal prefernce. i have had a placement in a children and families team, and it was a complete eye opener as it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. i had an idea it was going to be quite traumatic, delaing with lots of broken families etc, but in fact it was dealing with a lot of families who needed a bit of extra support.

Don't know if that was any help, but if you've got any specific questions about anything else then pm me