Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Love You!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it just me or do people say this a hell of a lot at the moment?

People I hardly know, just like friends of friends, shout 'bye! love you hunni!' across the street, people leave it at the end of almost every myspace comment, people seem to have to say it at the end of every phone call.

I know it's a lovely thing to say to someone, but I've just noticed it gets thrown around by people so much. Especially people that I hardly know, and who quite blatantly do not love me, and probably don't even know my last name! Is it fashionable or something?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's probably the heat getting to people's heads. Ha ha. Have I mentioned- I love you innocent kate! ;)
    If your Scot Mills then yes ..
    Tell me about it. People on campus are exactly the same. All fake hugs and "luv you baybieeeee (And if you spell it like that just don't even talk to me)" I've been told by completely gay friends that they love me and want my babies, after meeting them for one day. Ok, So you can like me, but the only people I'll believe are family and my boyfriend.

It's such a nice thing to say to someone you love, like you say Kate, but really, it's overused and it doesn't have the same meaning anymore.
    Some of my friends say it to me, more like on comments on bebo and txts and stuff, but no I dont say it myself. I only say Luv you to someone if I really do love them, like people have said I dont want it to loose it's proper meaning of course :)
    Yeah it pisses me right off. People write it on facebook all the time, not really my kind of thing.
    My 2 year old sister says she loves me everytime I speak to her. I think its cute :D

I rarely say "love youuu". Tend only to say it to a boyfriend or very close mates when I'm drunk.
    I've just taught Abbie how to say it :blush:

I can count on one hand the amount of times my parents have told me they love me so I want it to be totally different for her.
    Glittery wrote: »
    I've just taught Abbie how to say it :blush:

I can count on one hand the amount of times my parents have told me they love me so I want it to be totally different for her.

Haha, my Mum constantly tells her she loves her and Lucy goes "I love my big sister Staceyyyyy".

Its quite cute!

Its weird though as my Mum never said she loved me when she was younger. The "love" word wasn't ever really used in my childhood!
    :heart::heart::heart::heart: At baby Lucy and baby Abbie :D

Is Abbie saying it alot now that you've taught her?
    my_name wrote: »
    Is Abbie saying it alot now that you've taught her?
    I have to say it to her to prompt her then she'll say it back :D

Her favourite word just now though is shoes, like mother like daughter ;)
    Oh now thats cute :D
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    Yeah it pisses me right off. People write it on facebook all the time, not really my kind of thing.

Glad it's not just me. It's so annoying and fake :impissed:

Just want to say, I'm not talking about the kind of situation like I think Stacey said about her little sister saying it. That's really sweet! :heart: Kids are so cute when they say it!

It's just the false kind from people you hardly know that seems to be littered over bebo and myspace.
    I very rarely say it anyway. Only to a couple of my closest friends. Its funny when Scott Mills does it on his show, its a very old silly in-joke with his fans/listeners.

I hate fake *hugs* as well. If I only give them when I mean them.
    I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you...
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you...

You don't mean it! :crying: :crying: :crying: It's all fake!

Think you're getting this place confused with myspace :p
    I had some random say that to me in my local Spar shop on Tuesday this week, so you're not the only one Kate!
    Can't remember anyone ever saying it to me :chin:
    I tell my best friends that I loved them, and I did tell my boyfriend. That's about it, because those are the people I truly love. I wouldn't say it to everyone, no way.
    stargalaxy wrote: »

Steady on Natasha Bedingfield.

Yeah, I've noticed it, and I reckon that Scott Mills has a lot to answer to. A workmate of mine said "love you" to a customer the other day when she put the phone down by accident. I only tend to say is as "I love you really" after I've been mercilessly taking the piss out of a friend.
    The more you say it to people who you don't really know, the less it means when you say it to somebody special.

I tell my family and a girlfriend I love them. I tell some VERY good friends I love them to bits sometimes, I think if you go about telling randoms you love them or people on the internet then it looks reaaaaally false.

Except if you're drunk.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I say it to my boyfriend, and I say it to certain friends as well as family.

But the way I say it is different, I love you: Boyfriend
    love ya(said in a proper common voice :p): friend

I love my friends, but I love my boyfriend more and I show that through the way I say it.

If that made any sense to you, you are a very clever person!
    You don't want the love? Fine. You're all a load of bastards! :p
    This is why I don't like americans. I find it all so fake!

I tell my family I love them and I say it to my friends when I'm on drugs.
    I say it to my family, and to my best friends, but thats cos I really mean it.

I know what you mean about people overusing it though, this girl i'd only met once left me a myspace comment once saying 'love you' at the end, i was like errr hello i dont even know you that well. that sort of stuff is fake :)
    If I'm drunk I seem to love everyone, otherwise it's only really my bf that ever gets it. Don't think I've ever told my family I love them, like they haven't me, goes without saying.

I do sign christmas cards and the likes "love Karen", but I thought signing things off with love was fairly standard, like saying "pass on my love to so and so" if someone you're speaking to will be seeing them and you haven't lately. But def wouldn't sign anything off "luv you".
    I totally agree. There was a time when the word 'love' was saved only for your family, and maybe your close friends. Now, it seems to be everywhere.
    A few people I talk to on MSN, ALWAYS sign off with 'luv you' or 'luv yaz', when they don't even know me.
    I definitely think that the word 'love' should be saved for those meaningful moments.
    And Kazbo, at least you're a loving drunk ;-)
    LL_Twins94 wrote: »
    And Kazbo, at least you're a loving drunk ;-)

:yes: there's worse things to be drunk.